Am I Crazy?

I think you are very crazy....for not doing it before now. I plan to pick up a .243 bolt gun eventually.

Do you like lever actions? For a light recoiling, 150yd maximum shot deer rifle, you may have fun with a Marlin 30-30!

Just a thought!

"Thanks fellas. I think I'm going to buy a No 1 in .243 now."

Good choice.:cool: I have two rifles in .243, a 1968 issue Winchester M70 and a Ruger #1A. One of these days I'll have to chase down a #1B with the 26" barrel and see what it really can do. I have the "B" model in 6MM Rem. and it's a tack driver. One thing about the #1's is they tend to have long throats; at least all mine do.
Paul B.

former basher

I've posted before that in my ignorant youth, I (and my Dad and uncles) were bonafide .243 bashers of the highest order, and my Dad was the Grand Poobah of the clan. Called them groundhog rifles. Everybody knew that a REAL deer rifle was .30 and up and used no less the 180gr slugs, round nose preferably. The .30-30/170 was only acceptable.

Dad bought a .243 sporter, primarily in fact I suspect to shoot groundhogs with, and got to hitting pigs in the summer, way out there (especially for him)and liking it. He then stuffed it with factory 100 gr PSP and started killing deer (instead of missing them) on a regular basis. Turns out Dad, one genuine tough customer, had a shooting flinch (and cross dominant to boot).

Since then, Dad's .243 has come my way, and bamaboy and I have both taken some deer with it. I suspect I have seen more DRT, on the spot kills with that .243, and more longish type shots/kills (the kid at a lasered 260 yds) than any other cal/rifle. So much so that I bought an oddball .243 Mannlicher style stocked rifle last year, my own .243 at this point, and killed another as well. Yes DRT.

I still lean to "heavy" bullets and shoot 100 gr slugs (Partitions now that Dad's supply of factory ammo is gone). But a basher I am not anymore.

Oh yeah, I think Ruger #1's are very classy rifles.

The .243 Win is neither my FAVORITE range or deer cartridge, but does well at either. Barrels warm fairly quickly and barrels tend to wear out fairly quickly for a target cartridge. As a deer round, it's okay for fairly open shots, especially under 300 yards, but I prefer the .270 or .30-06 for deer hunting in Maine.

If you reload, it can be pretty good for range shooting by loading mild loads. IMR 4895 has been my favorite for light loads, since it is more flexible than many other powders, especially many ball powders. I haven't loaded target loads for that cartridge, since it's my heavy varmint/grandkids deer round.

For deer, I load 80 grain Hornady GMX solid gilding metal bullets and they work well. The sub-teen and teen grandkids use them and if I want to walk down back with my T3 Lite, I'll carry it occasionally, usually for coyotes, but we don't get long shots at deer on this property, so it should work fine for that as well. The big failing is that it probably won't penetrate an 8"+/- tree that a deer happens to walk behind close-by.

My .270 Win easily handles the up-to 450 yard-long shots on our favorite trail. Incidentally, I load some mild, .270 Win, 90 Gr. Sierra HPs for target shooting (turkey shoots) and they shoot very well and at the same POI at 100 yards as deer loads.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I own a Ruger #1V (heavy bull barrel) in 25-06. Wonderful gun to shoot and since I load my own ammo I go up and down the power scale as I choose. If I didn't own the 25-06 my second choice would be the .257 Roberts.

oldies but goodies

I mostly shoot old rounds like 7mm & 8mm Mausers, 300 Savage, 30-30 Win etc... because my type of hunting doesn't require any more than that.
Thick, Coastal woods of Western Washington with the occasional 200-300 yard clesrcuts, plus I don't care for all that recoil of the fire & brimstone rounds. I'm not knocking magnums, they certainly have their place, just not for me. :D

Well the new Ruger No 1 in .243 will be here on Wednesday. I also ordered a new Vortex scope for it. Hopefully I can get it mounted and sighted in in for rifle season next month.

Thanks for all the help fellas!

Olympus said:
Well the new Ruger No 1 in .243 will be here on Wednesday. I also ordered a new Vortex scope for it. Hopefully I can get it mounted and sighted in in for rifle season next month.

Sound like you got a nice setup coming your way for the hunting season! By the way, nothing crazy in your entire thought process, actually probably one of the most lucid posted.

What kind of eye relief does the scope have? The short action on the #1 doesn't allow for mounting very far back so a scope with long eye relief is needed.

Here is the finished product!

2uqymyqu.jpg

Crazy like a fox, I've done much the same as you. I went with a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39. I shoot the cheap steel cased ammo for plinking or my 150gr. cast bullets for lighter loads. For the real deal (hunting deer & Hogs) I hand load 125gr. & 150gr. JSP. I'm good to 200 yards easy. Where I live 100 yards is a long shot. Your Ruger #1 is a beautiful rifle. I had one in .270win. many years ago and let It get away. Good luck with your new rifle.

elegant

They say that one of Bill Rugers favorite expressions was that such and such was "elegant". And your #1 certainly fills the bill.

One handsome rifle, congrats.

Back