Am I considered few and far between?

It's funny you bring this up . I thought I liked wood and steel , in fact I do . How ever my collection does not promote that thought . I was at the range one day a couple years ago and had brought 6-ish rifles and a few hand guns . I was meeting some friends to shoot with and some did not have guns to shoot so I brought extras . Anyways this very subject came up and I proceeded to "claim" I love a nice wood finish on a rifle . So one of the others said so what do you have here today . When I turned to point out my guns I quickly realized I did not have one rifle with a wood stock with me . :rolleyes: So then I got to thinking about it and came to another realization . At the time I only had one rifle with a wood stock period . Not going to say how many rifles I have but based on the total you'd think I'd have more then ONE . :o

Heck all the hand guns I brought were polymer as well . I don't think I'm purposely not buying wood but I sure don't have a lot . I think it's I just buy what I want with out thinking brand or style . I have many brands and usually a couple of them . Price and reliability seem to be my driving force when it come to firearms . My son asked me how much al my guns were worth . I told him not as much as you'd think . Very few are high end fanboy models . They're mostly just accurate and reliable . That's worth more then anything to me and I told him as much .

I only have one firearm that truly sucks and that's an old Jennings semi auto 22lr . Man what a piece a junk that thing is . It jams with just about anything you put in it on the first round . CCI stingers are one of the few that work OK at best .

So I'd like to think I like and appreciate wood and steel but looking at what I own you'd never think so . :confused:

Last edited:
Well I am part of the younger generation (I'm 22), but I don't fit into my own generalization.

Folks tend to stereotype people and want to fit them all into pigeonholes. Truth be told, while we all have things in common, we also have many differences. Tastes in firearms is one of those things. I have two boys, the oldest is into semi handguns and tactical rifles. The youngest(still in college) is into revolvers and lever carbines. Both enjoy shooting each others. It's all good.

I'm an codger level member and

I like everything. Sometimes its the function. Sometimes its the engineering marvel of machining. Sometimes its beauty and the American flintlock to me is the most beautiful there is (striped wood, relief carved, wire inlay and engraved).

I wonder about myself at 69 years old. I went to buy myself a new polymer stocked shotgun the other day. However, I couldn't resist the beautiful wood stock sitting beside it so I paid more and got wood. I have 8 long guns and all are blued with wood stocks. However, I have the same number of handguns and none of them have wood on them. They are steel, polymer, aluminum and zamac but they are all blued.

I have no plans to add any more in my lifetime but I said the same thing about 10 guns ago.

I pretty much like all guns, even the plastic ones. Granted I'm partial to wood stocks and blued metal, but there is something to be said about the accuracy of mass produced cheap guns like the Ruger American Predator.

But you have to admire the craftsmanship of the old guns, before the days of investment castings and computer lathes and milling machines.

I like to take out my 98 Krag, or similar guns, and study them close. Seeing the tool marks from these mass produced guns made on manual tooling. These were truly craftsmen. They had to mass produce interchangeable parts to build or repair thousands upon thousands of guns to support our military.

They didn't have programmable machines where you through in a block of steal, push a button and watch the part spit out.

No they had to take blue prints, and spend more time measuring then cutting.

Thank about it, loot at the late 1800s when someone would have to make a part, for example something for an 1873 Trapdoor, sent it to an armory a thousand miles away, so some company armor can fix Private Snuffy's trapdoor.

Anyone who can do a jig saw puzzle can build an AR, the parts are cast and will pretty much fit anything. Trapdoor parts had to be machined individually by a guy reading blue prints with a tool bit he ground himself.

Of course at todays labor cost, these guns would be cost prohibitive, but you have to love them, and have total respect for the craftsmen who built them.

To get an idea, pick up a copy of Howe's THE MODERN GUNSMITH, and read about machining sights, making reamers, bullet molds and cherry's.

Simply amazing. I have my own manual machines, and made parts, putting together nice target grade rifles, but it takes me hours of trial and error. Those old guys produced the several of the same parts daily.

Take a look at some of the old factory photos. One long drive shaft running dozens of machines with belts running down to each. I was always amazed at the barrel quality on the 30-40 Krags. That is one long hole to drill and the steel on them was really tough. You drop a Krag barrel on a cement floor and it rings.

I like bolt guns they fascinate me with all due respect black guns don't have my attention.Bench shooting is my new hobby Plastics stocks are durable, wood stocks are beautiful and will be here when we are all gone.My generation at ripe gray age of 55 is stuck in the middle.Beauty is in the eye beholder heck Bill married Hillary.

God is big the clouds are the dust unto His feet.

Beauty is in the eye beholder heck Bill married Hillary.
:shudder:

i like to think all my guns be they plastic or wood look better than.......

but whatever, i like old cars/trucks, and guns that go bang

I like guns that work well and hold up well.

When I started out buying and shooting guns, I was pretty heavily biased against polymer guns but have come to realize that they actually work very well and are very durable when designed and manufactured properly.

I have my share of shiny, pretty guns with classic looks and/or wood stocks but I also have a lot of plastic/black guns. I've noticed that my plastic/black guns ted to get shot more. Maybe because they're easier to clean up and there's less pain if one gets dinged up or starts to show wear.

John, I fought back hard against polymer guns and ARs. I too realized that they are very useful and handy.

There's lots of guns that I'd love to have, that I'd admire more than the guns I do own. I have a finite budget, so the ones I do have are useful and durable, none are very pretty.

I still like nice walnut and blued steel but I do own an AR and an LC 9. It's pretty hard to stay away from the plastic guns but I did see some wood for the AR but it wouldn't look right. I even have a couple SS handguns that aren't made in blue steel. Oh, I'll be 72 next b'day so I guess I'm old.

"ugly guns for ugly things"

I carried an M-4A1 for work. Have a Mossberg 590 in my truck.

However, guns I like are blued steel and wood stocked.

And I'm all of 28.

If I were going back to Afghanistan or was being deployed to Syria, I'd want a Glock 19 and a H&K 416; but the next gun I want to purchase is a Model 70 African.

Works for me...

I really like all my guns from flinters, to levers, some syn-stocked no-nonsense bolt gun shooters to my long range Sharps 2.4." I've got one military '06 from almost 100 years ago, a fine thing, and a fine shooter. My oldest son lives in Las Vegas, and he knows one of my bucket list items is to shoot a Tommy gun. He says I can do that whenever I want, as they have an indoor range there where one can shoot just about any kind of firearm there is; said he'd treat... My wife and I are going there in February; maybe I'll get that one checked off my list.

Remember this one?

www.youtube.com/user/steveleeilikeguns

Shooting a Tommy Gun
Well as the bill for the ammunition goes up and up just remember you're not going to get to do this everyday and go ahead and put another box through it.

I got to shoot one once and wish I had taken my own advice. It was fun.

Enjoy.

The few and far between? I recon is me. Glock 19 4th Gen. Carry one every day, TruGlo night sights, extended slide lock, Glock made! Butt plug.
The bigger mag. release? Dug into my second finger, cut the corner off, fixed.

On the belt, gun in kydex OTB holster. Off side, G17 magazine, NATO Hard Ball.
Good flashlight. And remember, every day.
Use a Wilderness Store Frequent Flyer belt. They last for ever, stay on on plane.

My local West Indian market, has a Security Officer, built like a truck! He has a peep at my belt line? "Of course I am" I said. He carries a G19 as well.

Old? Who me? Only 81.

Didn't think my thread would go this long! I haven't responded much, but I've still been reading every post. Always interesting to hear everyone's opinion.

Back