Aluminum in slides and frame rails with Rugers?

I love it when folks start posting pictures of damaged firearms as if it means anything.

I once read an article online about squib loads in which multiple pictures of guns which had been either damaged or destroyed by squibs were showcased. Later that year, I happened upon a thread about how some firearm or another wasn't designed strong enough to hold up to a steady diet of hot loads in which one of the pictures I had seen in that article had been posted by the topic creator as "proof" of his assertions. I found the article, linked back to it, and confronted the topic creator about it, to which he had admitted to just using pictures he found using Google.

This is an extremely common issue here on the internet. People go on and on about how firearms they don't own have issued based on second-hand information, linking to pictures of other people's damaged firearms they found online as proof without actually knowing the content.

For example, I once saw a thread on the Ruger Pistol Forum regarding the use of Buffalo Bore .380 ACP +P out of an LCP in which somebody posted pictures of an LCP with cracked rails which he claimed were a result of shooting Buffalo Bore .380 ACP +P loads. Now I'm not entirely sure if they're the same, and I don't have the time to go searching the Ruger Pistol Forum for said thread to confirm it, but one of the pictures posted in this very thread showcasing an LCP with cracked rails looks like a picture from said thread.
For those who don't know, there's no such thing as an official SAAMI designation for .380 ACP +P loads, meaning Buffalo Bore and anyone else who claims to be selling ".380 ACP +P" ammo is selling unregulated overpressure loads.

Cooked Photo's

Cooked Photo's: Thanks for pointing out pirated photo's. It brought to mind all the photo's of SIG's with wear of the aluminum frame rail anodizing. The pending doom of the handguns was a hot topic at one time. It was a cause of some concern. I let some SIG's handguns go then. That was a real error in judgement looking back on it. I do some better these days.

Yet, some firearms are actually prone to cracks, split rails etc. Especially when you see many different pictures of a certain model. And then of course is you own experience. I try to stay away from any aluminum chassis firearm and will stick to steel. Yes, I do own a few that I do not shoot often but carry more. For instance, I train with a Ruger LCR9mm, but many times carry the 642 due to less weight. I will not own another LCP, I have much experience with them cracking. Just the way it is. Each to his own. And I have my own pics sent to ruger before sending the gun up for repair or replacement. Something I have always done with Rugers. Like this picture of my LCR9.

QygGqAb.jpg

Last edited:
So you're saying that those pictures of the cracked LCP you posted were of your own LCP?

Also, have you any experience with the Gen 2 LCPs or the LCP II cracking?

I had many pictures over 10 years of my cracked LCP's. The top picture is not mine, but used it because it was more dramatic than the particular crack I had at the same location. The rest are mine and I have more. For instance, I had a crack all the way down the mag well. I had or may still have have some more pics of my rails splitting. The SR22 is my pic. That is the Pic of the second time it happened. Ruger replaced the gun after that. The first time I sent it in, it was really bad. Scratches all the way down the receiver. I owned the original LCP and sold it right after Ruger replaced it and own still own the Gen2's which has been replaced numerous times. I still have that gun, but retired it and shoot it on occasion with just a few rounds. I do not own or have owned a LCPll. I shot them, but determined right away that I did not want that trigger for a Pocket gun. Plus had no interest in owning another one since I had already moved on.

Do not know much about the LCPll anymore. Shot them when they first came out. Have not seen them in recent years. Perhaps they have changed them other than the new trigger and a raised sight.

Regardless of the LCP, sorry this thread got away from the SR22. I had some more problems with the gun years later, contacted Ruger. They told me since the gun was a older model I would have to pay to send it in and they would repair it and send it back for free. Or send me parts and I could replace them. I opted for the parts and so far the gun is running fine. (and great customer service). The LCR had the Problem reoccur. I sent it back in, and they completely took off the finish or replaced it with a new cylinder which does not have the matte finish, but a glossy finish like the SR22.

PS I never shot any ammo rated Plus P or hot load out of a Ruger LCP nor would I. I have never shot any Buffalo ammo out of any gun. However I would I would not hesitate to try it in other Pocket guns I own which the manufacturer states that it is Plus P rated. In fact I have shot plus P rated ammo out of them with no problems at all. Regardless of the fact that Sammi does not list the 380 is subject for a full debate of which there has been too many of already. Maybe Sammi should add them. Personally do not care one way or the other. And I do not reload 380 anyway. If I did reload 380 then yes, I would go by their standards.

This thread seem to have folks that believe the LCP will not split rails or have cracks. Ok, so then just buy one. If you believe that the pictures are lies then just disregard and buy one.

There is another forum that shows many cracks with a Smith 642. I saw the pics, did not want to go and debate if they were lies or reused pictures from other posters. I got it. Figured it out. Yet I still bought one. Why? because it is ligher than the LCR9mm which does not get cracks because of the upgraded steel frame. I use the LCR9mm for training and shooting very often with no fear of it failing. And yes I do carry that gun as well. I do not use the 642 to shoot often but actually carry more than the LCR9mm. Weight matters.

LlUmVxn.jpg

Last edited:
Back