Aluminum cases

That's because they make more money by recycling brass, and want to take you for every penny possible.
Find a new range.
Plus they don't want to bother sorting out the aluminum/steel from the brass.

I've had no issues with the Cabela's Herter's aluminum case in .40S&W. Saves you a few bucks over brass and if you don't reload why not save a few bucks?

I don't use them because I reload, the exception is 380s and 25 acps, I smash my fingers trying to load those on my progressive Dillon RL 1000.

So I buy blazers and similar ammo for those two. Normally Aluminum cases. They work find.

Problem comes with trying to reload aluminum cases, they are elastic like brass and don't work well. I've seen guys try to load them and end up with a lot of split cases.

But for cheap practice ammo for those who don't reload, aluminum cases work quite well.

There's no problem shoot aluminum cases. Some ranges might have an issue with it...check your local range policies. Most ranges make a killing by either selling, or reloading spent brass. Separating aluminum and brass casings from each other just adds another step to the sorting process.

As an aside, the range I frequent most, they sell their own reloads for use on the range, (you can, however, use whatever ammo you want there, not just theirs). But you aren't allowed to police brass if you shoot their stuff. If you do, they'll hit you with a 15% surcharge because they say the price is discounted to account for the brass they'll pick up and use again. The only time I ever use their ammo is if I'm renting a gun to try out. In that case, they require that you use their ammo.

In my experience, it doesn't seem to be as resistant to bullet setback/crimp jump as brass-cased ammunition. I've not had trouble with crimp jump because I haven't shot much Blazer aluminum through revolvers, but I have noted setback with aluminum-cased ammunition used in autopistols.

Some autopistols do not seem to "like" it. My CZ75B will falter about once every 50 rounds when I'm using Blazer aluminum but seems to be 100% with brass-cased ammunition.

No issues with any of my other pistols and I've put thousands of rounds downrange with good results. I used to buy a lot of it because it used to be a very good deal compared to brass-cased ammuntion. However the prices have gradually climbed and for the past few years I haven't been able to find any real deals on it.

Some autopistols do not seem to "like" it. My CZ75B will falter about once every 50 rounds when I'm using Blazer aluminum but seems to be 100% with brass-cased ammunition.

That reminded me, that my Browning BDA .380 did have some failures to eject with it (causing a misfeed/stovepipe jam). However, that was only when the Blazer Aluminum was being shot by a child or woman that limp-wristed the pistol. With a proper grip, it ran great. And with brass-cased ammo, even a limp-wrister couldn't make it fail to eject.

I don't believe the 'twin' of the BDA, a Beretta 84BB had any issues with the Blazer Aluminum, though.

Interesting. Maybe I'm the exception, but I never found Blazer aluminum to be markedly cheaper than UMC or Winchester white box or S&B or any other of the brands marketing "inexpensive" target loads. In fact, if anything Blazer always seemed to be MORE expensive than those other brands. And once I began reloading, buying it became even less of an interesting proposition to me.

I haven't priced any in the last 10-15 years, but it used to be about HALF the price of brass-cased ammo. At the time, that even made it almost as cheap as the cost to reload. Add in the time savings, and it was well worth the price.

Other than having it jump the crimp in a magnum revolver once, I've had no problem with Blazer. I rarely use it, though, because it's Berdan primed, and I can't reload it.

The Blazer aluminum shoots fine. I've shot thousands of rounds in 9mm, .380 ACP, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP without any issues. Works good for me.

The CCI Blazer with the 200gr. JHP in .45 ACP has long been my favorite ammo to carry. It has been totally reliable and I have never had an issue with it. I have been hoarding my last 4 boxes of it and have no idea what I am going to replace it with when I run out.

I have also shot quite a bit of the CCI Blazer in 9mm and years ago some .357 Magnums. No it is not the bargin it used to be but I have always found it to shoot good in my guns.

Larry

Back