Altoids in round tins

Are they not available anymore? I wanted to make char cloth and they're perfect for it.

I've a couple of musket cap tins that would work but they're filled with musket caps right now.

What diameter?

There are shoe polish cans. Travel size Eucerin cans. Maybe Burts Bees?

And there are other candy/mint cans besides Altoids.There is a fruit hard candy one.Name escapes me.

The fruit hard candy one is Fruities. I use them as pillboxes also and they are a lot cheaper than buying a pill box. I am on my second one in 13 years and they spend a lot of time in my jeans pockets. I am pretty amazed they hold up as good as they do. They would work great for your use.

^^^
Yes.
As much as I shoot airguns these days, the round tins of various sizes seem to be growing out of hand.
How many do you want?
Better yet, get yourself an airgun or two for practice and start your own collection of tins.

Thanks guys. Next time I go to Wally World I'll look for pellet tins. Hopefully I have a pellet gun that'll it work with. I have a .177 caliber, but not a 22. I'll also see if I can find Fruitys.

Earlier this year I sent two musket/altoid tins filled with used cleaning patches I had tossed into the fireplace to make char cloth. Sent them to my uncle with some stuff for him and some stuff for my nephews. :) My uncle was delighted to get the char cloth, then he had to be told its for the nephews. :( Anyway, I want to make it right.

I like the old shoe polish tins. They have a good seal and are easy to open with the little twisty thing.:D

How's about a empty Copenhagen tin. It's the ideal container for a woodsy minded fellow needing a place to tuck something away in. And when sitting in your deer stand opening the tin occasionally will release a dandy cover up scent too. (You bet cha.)

If you go to E-Bay or Amazon and search "round metal tins" you get lots of options.

Last edited:
char cloth tin

i just got ALTOIDS yearstady at CVS, farmacy and they werent in a round but oblong the only way i haver seen them5x3 inches, that is what i use. let me know if this helps?

Cookies come in tins large enough to make a lifetime supply of charcloth in one firing. And you get to eat the cookies.

I generally make my char cloth in a cookie tin ( usually over a hot plate outside, since the smoke and odor can get pretty intense). I get a pretty good supply and keep it in a sealed jar where it lasts for a long time. I just fill up the smaller tins to take with me when needed.
I used some monk's cloth for the last batch and it works really good!

I didn't know what Monk's cloth was so I went to Amazon and found some.

71GIg75WhpL._SY355_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Monks-Cloth-Natural-Fabric-Yard/dp/B00CID9JL8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479609067&sr=8-1&keywords=monk%27s+cloth

I'm sticking with used cleaning patches. First, I already paid for them and second, I give them a second life by making them into char cloth.

MONKS CLOTH

i guess that it is verry course woven 100% cotton, not cheep. i to will keep using washed cotton cleaning patches. i wash them by hand in the sink with dish detergent to get the cleaning solvents out, takes no time at all.if you dont it will leave a shinney hard resedue on the cloth. i wait till i get a 100 or so. boy am i going to die with the mother load of them. how many do you use in a tear? thanks for the answer on what is MONKS CLOTH.

Back