Alternative to MRE's?

OK, I sort of answered my own question

Great ideas from everyone, especially Chindo

I just got back from the grocery store where I spent an hour going through every shelf. It'z amazing what things the grocery has that I never noticed before. I guess we get pre-programmed when we go.

I examined everything on the shelves that appeared to be a possibility for long-term with the exception of large canned items.

The first thing I bought a bunch of was Starkist tuna in touches. They were on sale for 99 cents and the expiration date was 2008. I decided that I wouldn't buy anything that:

Had an expiration date of less than two years and

couldn't be opened without a can opener.

From here I went to the yes, you guessed it, good old SPAM! I got several cans of that and a couple of cans of corned beef. Then I moved over to the soups. I found most of the add hot water types expired in a year but I did get several pop top cans of Campbells.

Then I found all kinds of canned chicken products and bought a bunch.

Finally I settled on small cans of various types of fruit, peaches, pears, etc.

I figure the whole survival part of my tab was no more than $25. Most of the items were a dollar or less. It doesn't take up much room and should keep two of us alive for at least a week.

Now, my plan is to pick up one or two additional items every time I go to the store in order to blend the $$$ in gradually.

I like MountainHouse, but lately on climbing trips I've taken Campfood brand. Sorry - don't remember where I got it. Same concept - freeze dried, just add boiling water to the package - 2 servings, high calorie and not too bad in terms of taste. It's still more expensive than what you could pick up at the grocery store, but you get the whole freeze-dried convenience a bit cheaper.

If you are going to depend on Lifeboat rations for your BOB I would recommend trying them in a non emergency situation. I tried the Mainstay brand twice 3 days apart and got a bad case of diarrehea both times. Becoming dehydrated in an emergency situation is not a good thing. If you are going to use them at least carry extra water and Immodium.

Bob

Summer sausages and pepperonis will give you a fat calorie boost.
I think they're indestructible.
During the power outage last year they were our source of meat.
For some reason nobody else bought them up at the grocery store

This may be too simplistic but don't live in areas of the country where diaster is more likely to hit. I certainly feel sorry for the folks in New Orleans and the Gulf Coast areas. Logic says the clock is always ticking for those areas. I would stay away from the densely populated areas also, LA, New York etc.
Look at prevailing wind patterns. You don't want to be down wind from a nuke.

Back