Alternative to drop tube. Question at the end of the post.

To those who are interested...

As with most of my tools, jigs, or contraptions, I overthought this shaker. It does not need a timer. As one might assume, the rate at which the volume is reduced behaves in accordance with a declining non-linear trajectory. That is to say that reduction in volume is high in the early seconds of vibration and then eventually reaches a point at which more vibration has very little impact. For a scientific shooter, the ability to control the duration of the vibration might make a difference. But not for me.

Additionally, I may find, after some trials, that maximum speed (max voltage from the controller) provides optimal effectiveness and that anything less (reduced voltage and therefor reduced rotational speed) is unnecessary. If that becomes the case, the controller is similarly unnecessary.

I have more to say about this but I will let that perculate for a bit.

Here are photos of the shaker in its final stage. I opted not to use the timer. Easier to just count down mentally. The difference in the outcome based on time is minimal. I get about 15% reduction in powder volume after ten second or 15 seconds or 20 seconds. Doesn't seem to matter above ten seconds.

First photo is of the inside of the box. The circuit card controls speed. I still have to work out best speed.

Second photo is of a shell holder placed on top of the shaker box. I will fill up to 50 cases and place them in the shell holder. Then start the vibrating.

Third photo is of the shell cover in place over the shell holder. I will place the shell holder with shelled filled with powder on the top of the box. Hold them in place with the white cover. Turn on the shaker for the proper amount of time. Turn off the shaker. Examine the cases for good volume reduction.

e' finito.
Well done, a nice simple solution that should work well for not a lot invested. The nice thing is it will work with any caliber either rifle or pistol. Great example of the KISS principle in action.

Thanks J.I.G.

One thing about which I am very well aware is that this device is almost un-endingly forward compatible. It can become quite complex for the purist if needed. The duration and intensity of vibration would be easy to control. Some may think that would be important.

Back