Alternative to Ballistol?

Listen to Driftwood!
I can't weigh that long, the Winters here "Up Nort" are toooooooooooooo long and I need to play with my guns.

What percentage of rubbing alcohol (I can get several strengths at Walmart) do most use?

I don't even know if there are differents strengths of H202 but I don't think there are... This Murphy's oil soap seems appealing if I can just leave it in the mechanism.

I was interested in the cutting oil but I wonder if the cutting oil actually would do a good job of preventing rust or has properties more suited for lubrication (being a cutting / drilling oil).

That is Murphy's Mix, not Moose Milk.

I popularized the name Murphy's Mix in CAS.

Moose Milk got its name because it is milky in appearance.

10% Ballistol/90% water is milky in appearance.

You're both wrong. The 1/3 mix is called Possum Piss! :)

I made up a huge batch of Possum Piss 9 years ago and I'm still using it up. I have switched to Ballistol and now only use Possum Piss as a field cleaner in between courses of fire in competition. At home I clean with soapy water, dry with compressed air, and then follow up with a wipe-down of Ballistol.

Once I've used up the Possum Piss I will only use Ballistol.

Hydrogen Peroxide is bad for wood and can cause corrosion. Ballistol is good for wood and cannot cause corrosion.

What percentage of rubbing alcohol (I can get several strengths at Walmart) do most use?

It does not matter. I have a bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol in hand right now that says 91% alcohol on it. Some Rubbing Alcohols are only 70% alcohol. It does not matter. The balance is going to be water.

The Hydrogen Peroxide I have on hand is only 3% H2O2, the rest is water.

As I said before, it is the water that does most of the cleaning. So 97% of 1 Quart plus however much water is in whichever alcohol you buy will be fine.

This is not rocket science.

As far as the H2O2 causing corrosion, as I said before, when 3% H2O2 is combined with the other ingredients, the H2O2 content goes down to 1%. That is not going to corrode anything. I have been doing this for close to 20 years, Murphy's Mix does not cause any rust when left deep inside the guts of a firearm.

I sometimes spray and "pre-clean" the barrel and cylinder when leaving the range with aerosol Ballistol (which doesn't have much smell), but at home I use the 3 part solvent.

dyl said:
Has anyone tried adding something to Ballistol to make it smell better or smell less?
Any alternatives?

There is no alternatives. Ballistol smells like 6 month old sweaty athletic socks that have never been washed .

Put the stuff in the very back of your chemical storage shelf, and make up a batch of Murph's Mix . Works awesome , smells good.

Doesn’t sound like it would be good for wood or leather. Is it?

The bottles of Ballistol all say it's "good for" leather and wood. But what I've found to be more accurate is that it doesn't penetrate leather or wood as much as some other oils. I could be wrong, but Ballistol doesn't seem to creep and seep into the nooks and crannies as much as some other thinner oils I have.

That being said, I've read that oil is unfinished leather's enemy. Same with wood. So maybe "can be used on" rather than "is good for" is more accurate. Please correct me if I'm wrong folks.

I use Ballistol on my work boots all the time. It will darken them but any other boot protectors I have tried do the same thing.

Guy's Mike Venturino's formula for black powder cleaner is this :

1 - 22 oz. bottle Windex w/ Vinegar (it's clear in color)
1 - 1 gallon , clean , empty plastic jug with screw on cap.
Water as needed.

Pour the Windex Vinegar into the gallon jug and fill with water...shake a couple times to mix . Do not use Windex with ammonia in it (not sure why)

SC Johnson still makes the clear Windex w/ Vinegar , our wally mart stocks it sometimes but you can order it through wally mart and pick it up at the store ...no shipping charge .

This is the original version ...seems most people forget about the water and use it full strength . That's not correct .
I pour some back in the spay bottle and use it to spray on the outside to clean off BP grunge .
Oh....it doesn't have that funky wet dog smell either ! Mixed with water it has very little smell .
Gary

That being said, I've read that oil is unfinished leather's enemy. Same with wood. So maybe "can be used on" rather than "is good for" is more accurate. Please correct me if I'm wrong folks.

Oil is bad for wood?

Wherever did you hear that?

In an earlier life I made my living as a woodworker.

I used oil finishes all the time.

I'm thinking he's meaning if a stock is soaked in petroleum oil, motor oil, gun oil, ect to the point of being saturated. Not an oil finish applied on the surface.
I have no issues using Ballistol on the metal, but I would avoid it on leather. Many products make the leather "too lubed" and they begin to stretch out or rots the stitches. A collector piece of leather I would leave as is, I wouldn't be using it if it had great value.

i've used Windex with vinegar to clean my black powder guns for many years.

Windex with vinegar contains about three percent vinegar and i use it full strength. It neutralizes black powder residue and residues from firing Triple Seven, Pyrodex and the APP powders, which are base material. Sometimes you can see it fizz.

1. At the range i swab the bore with a patch wet with Windex with vinegar.

2. At home the bore is dry patched followed with a patch wet with tap water.

3. The bore is dry patched .

4. The bore is swabbed with a patch moist with WD-40.

Windex with vinegar eats up the Triple Seven crud ring.

I always mix some Murphy's oil soap in with my Windex for patch lube and for cleaning. Been doing it for years and it works just fine....and sure doesn't smell like Ballistol !!

Ballistol; Serves me well, however ??

Has anyone tried adding something to Ballistol to make it smell better or smell less? Any alternatives?

Ballistol serves me well and it looks like most folks are only taking exception, to the smell. If so, then don't use it; plain water works well. ….. :rolleyes:

Ballistol, has cleaning/preservative properties that I have not been able to equal with other products. Here is my use of Ballistol;
1) I only use it on my ML's and nothing else.
2) I mix it 50/50 with mineral spirits and does reduce the smell
3) I Only spray is in the field and let the M/L sit for a day or two.
4) On the bench, I dip a Q-Tip from a closed bottle Or dampen a patch.
5) Mixing it with water, does not reduce the smell. Save water for drinking?

Be Safe

Honestly if you don't like using Ballistol then you can just clean with soapy water and then follow up with the oil of your choice.

I happen to like Ballistol because it cuts black powder fouling and it is also an oil. I typically clean with soapy water, dry with compressed air, and then follow up with a wipe-down of Ballistol which gets anything I missed and oils the gun up.

In fact you can clean with plain old water and no soap if you are pressed.

Steve

Shot my 3rd model Dragoon today. Used a 25% Ballistol water mix to clean with, followed with straight Ballistol as a final wipe down. The mix was warmed on the wood burning stove in the shop, worked just fine, cleans quickly and the odor of the Ballistol still doesn't bother me. I am going to try the homemade mix and see how well that works.

Back