almost got shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>felt it was ok to kill little birds, ......and shot at trees for no reason[/quote]

Hmmm, I guess I'm just an idiot. I shoot little birds, and have been known to shoot a tree in my day too. Guess I just have no right owning a firearm.

Yeah, I've been through hunter, and firearm safety, I must have missed the day when they said that you couldn't do the above. It's kinda funny how the game regs say that there is no closed-season, and no limit on starlings, and sparrows. I guess the game commisions are just idiots too, who also have no right to own guns. I think if this qualifies you as "irresponsible" there are not many people who aren't. Trees don't feel the bullets, and they make good back stops, so they don't go on to hit something actually important, like a farmhouse, or a kid. As long as you dont go fully-auto on them, it wont hurt them a bit, just a piece of lead. woohoo!

Bad Medicine, I think he's talking about non-game or protected birds, not pestiferous types like starlings or grackles; and lots of folks don't like their trees shot up. My uncle got all over my case when I was a kid, with my first '06. "Leave my #$&@ trees alone! There's plenty of rocks!"

:), Art

I, too, carry a backup weapon when I hunt, for dealing with predators or idiots. Usually my Glock or 1911. My new hunting buddy seemed surprised to see me packing the sidearm...guess he figures his rifle is enough. Not if it's unloaded and in the back of the truck!

Stay safe.

Have you not heard of the Beararms first axiom for public hunting land? "When on public ground if your Duck hole is easy to access, you will have company."

If you are on the water any later than 5:00 am just to motor in to the spot, you're too late and others will be there too.

Spend the afternoons anchored somewhere watching the flights of Ducks to get a reference point. From there find a place that no one will want to go to the hassle of getting to and you will be alone.

Typically, I am on the water an enroute around 4:30 AM when I am lucky enough to get to hunt.

Good luck this year. I have heard good things from MN and ND about our Duck population this year. Let's hope we get a BUNCH of water between now and November.

BM, Shooting at this guy is NOT the way to deal with this kind stupid act. When you put a bullet across the water you have absolutely no guarantee which way it's going. The idiot was wrong for shooting across the water without being sure of what lies beyond. You would be purposely shooting at this same idiot, who's the bigger idiot? Your macho crap may seem like the thing to do at the time, but you kill the idiot on the other side of the lake (or some other poor guy that you didn't see) and you'll probably have a few years to think about how macho it is to be shooting at idiots. How macho you gonna feel waking up to Bubba breathing down your neck?

------------------
bullet placement is gun control

What an idiot! Anybody with any sense knows not to shoot at water because of the chance of a bullet glancing off of the water and going God knows where. This, coupled with the fact of knowing people were in the area, is just inexcusable behavior. I'm just glad a tragedy didn't happen.
DAL

P.S. I had a close call of my own some years back while rabbit hunting with my best friend. We lost sight of each other and somehow I got ahead of him. He saw a rabbit and fired at it with his .22, and I heard the round whiz right past my ear! I promply hit the dirt and yelled at him. After that, we always made sure we kept in visual contact every few yards.

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."
--Patrick Henry, during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution (1788)

GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, ARI, NRA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back