Alliant Powder suspension

Yep! Inflation stimulation. The circling investment firms see the ammunition industry is failing to meet demand, creating a seller's market, and they want to cash in on that.

Vista’s sale to the Czechs will go before a shareholders vote June 14th. It is almost certain to be approved as well as receiving the green light from the Committee on Foreign Investment. MNC Capital’s last minute attempt to outbid the Czechs is not credible and will fail.
The Czechs (CSG), also bought Fiocchi two years ago and have kept a lid on prices. CSG is more aligned with the needs of the shooting community in contrast to Vista which seems to only care about profits. I’m looking forward to Vista exiting the shooting market.

Alliant markets some great powders, but too bad they cannot run a company for fooey. They announce this after supplying 10% of their former market share and doubling MSRP.

Do they want me to run the company too? The nitrocellulose doesn’t seem to be stopping up all the other powder makers….more smoke and mirrors, I suppose.

Sorry, but I have a bad attitude lately.

Alliant markets some great powders, but too bad they cannot run a company for fooey. They announce this after supplying 10% of their former market share and doubling MSRP.

Do they want me to run the company too? The nitrocellulose doesn’t seem to be stopping up all the other powder makers….more smoke and mirrors, I suppose.

Sorry, but I have a bad attitude lately.
You have a bad attitude lately? What took so long? LOL

Vista is divesting, but it's getting complicated. Apparently, the intended sale of the shooting sports elements to the Czech group, CSG, for $1.9B was made contingent on CSG passing a national security review, and now they have a competing offer from MNC Capital, a domestic group of Wall Street-type investors that gets around the security review issue. MNC is offering to buy all of Vista for $3B, if I understand this correctly.
I hear MNC specializes in lubrication products.;)

Just visited a LGS and they had some 1# cannisters of RL 23 left--at $70.00 each. I shouldn't have--but I sprang for 2 of them since it's such a good powder. The salespeople there had no clue that it was being suspended.

I talked to a powder manufacturer who was an exhibitor at the NRA convention in Dallas yesterday. He confirmed nitrocellulose is hard to get. Also said the price of it has gone up 350% in the last few months. So when he can get it, he pays a big price for it.

Yep. I did the same. Hodgdon's rep told me that, normally, civilian-to-military powder demand is about 80:20, but that right now, it is reversed. For example, all 4350 production is going to the military for 6.5 CM belt-fed machine gun ammunition and for some sniper rounds. He confirmed what I read, that a lot of the nitrocellulose used in Europe was coming from China, and China quit shipping to them about four months ago. It's a big scramble to get new production on line, but to build a factory from scratch can take a couple of years. The Europeans are trying to speed that up by streamlining the EU permitting system.

I have read similar reports. That's the globalization poison that we have drunk, for cheaper products.

Having said that, once the supply chains are adjusted, their grips will lose effects forever. But we as consumers need to be ready for higher prices. I'm ready. In fact I have started paying higher prices for things, just to avoid products from questionable sources.

I have gone through several shortages since I started handloading. In restrospect they are good things. It forced me to get outside my comfort zone. Conservation and improvision probably exercised, it ain't that bad. Shoot less but make each round count more.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.
The current situation will have me utilizing all my surplus bulk powders until gone. WC844, WC872 (I have run 33% 844 and 67% 872 in 308 and 223). I have plenty, and varied supplies of top quality powders for specific uses like copper bullets and hunting loads. It makes no sense to chase purple unicorns with pink polka dots, when they do not presently exist. I can go a couple of years before running out of bulk powders.

4350 production is going to the military for 6.5 CM belt-fed machine gun ammunition

We are using 6.5 Creedmoor machine guns?
Why add another caliber when the 6.8 super duper is the Next Big Thing?

Timing, I think. Hornady introduced the round in 2007, so it preceded the approval of the 6.8, and they were looking for something with better range and impact energy than the 5.56 rounds in machine guns. Plus, they wanted a sniper round with roughly equal range and lighter carrying weight than the 7.62 sniper ammo. You can Google several articles on it. Here's one.

Great... I just bought a bunch of powder, and now this thread is convincing me that I need to buy more.

Well, then the panic announcement is working. You should call them and let them know that their marketing strategy is working on you. Perhaps you could partner with a local retailer and announce this locally at all the shooting ranges and shooting clubs. They might pay you.

Personally, I’ve seen no change in Alliant stock levels for 2 years.

the war in Ukraine and Middle East is running us dry in powder. the US has been supplying them with our reserves. The reserves are running down now and the defense dept. is restocking. plus we are continuing to supply the Ukrainians and Israel. Those two events are creating a powder shortage.

Back