Alliant MZ?

FrontierGander..... with nothing for reference that looks like the same granulation as aquarium gravel. Is that about right?

There are probably 20 guys in the NW here that use Black MZ in the Plainsman side matches I have attended and I neither saw nor heard any hangfires or difficulty with ignition. I have had delayed ignition (pa-POW vs just POW) with Pyrodex P unless heavily compressed. A lube wad under the ball sure contributed to delayed ignition in my experience.

Last edited:
I'd like to try that MZ, but half my rifles are Lyman/Interarms and I wouldn't want any problems with those. I guess it might shoot in my TC's? Or maybe I could put a small charge of 2F in before the MZ.

Last edited:
That picture that Jonathan posted made the Black MZ look as big as Kingsford Briquettes for the BBQ so I took my own pictures.

Here is MZ with a penny for comparison and then MZ on the bottom right with GOEX 2F on the bottom left and Goex 3F on the top left. Now it doesn't look so bad.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 54
i hunt with Black MZ exclusively.

In the past ten days i've killed two deer and a big boar hog with muzzleloaders using Black MZ powder. One deer was killed with a .50 caliber conventional muzzleloader firing patched round ball. The charge was 90 grains of Black MZ. The big doe and boar were killed with a .50 caliber Encore rifle using the 250 grain SST bullet and 120 grains of Black MZ.

Yep, that "kitty litter" works just fine.

Back