All your tips for DA accuracy . . .

Dry fire, dry fire, and dry fire (with snap caps) to master the trigger. This is the only way and it will build it into your muscle memory. I usually just cock the hammer with my thumb for single action practice, as I can do so without taking a hand off the pistol.

This is how I mastered the trigger on my Beretta M9A1. I'm now equally accurate in both modes.

Lots of excellent advice offered! Bravo guys!!!

I would only add that a very firm grip goes a long ways in helping
to keep the sights on target while pulling the trigger.

I see you have a Bersa 380 CC. What is the weight of the DA pull? I personally like to bring a DA/SA gun into the 9-10lbs DA pull and 3.5-4lb SA pull range. This can often be done with a simple hammer spring change. At 9lbs using the safety between my ears there is more than enough resistance to keep me out of trouble in DA mode. I personally think that the DA pulls are heavier than they need to be. I am not sure if this can be done with the Bersa. I shoot Sigs, CZs, Beretta's, Sphinx in DA/SA and know how to do the spring change on these but not on the Bersa. You might look around the Bersatalk forum for info.

Here is a great article by Bruce Gray who is one of the best Sig gunsmiths on how to master the DA trigger through dry firing. He is also a world class pistol competitor and trainer.

https://grayguns.com/dry-fire-secrets-of-the-pros/

Here is my take and my personal adaptation on the foundation that Bruce talks about in his article. Trigger control is everything. You need to dry fire your gun in DA a lot. This is not just sitting on the couch clicking away. Too many people practice in a manner unrelated to actually shooting the pistol. IMHO

Put a holster of choice on and stand 6ft from a wall with an UNLOADED GUN and do a proper draw stroke and fire the DA pull. Rinse and repeat. Learn to present the pistol and "prep the trigger" for the DA pull. The more you do it with your particular pistol the more you will learn its characteristics. You can learn to take 7lbs of pull out of the trigger by "prepping" it on the draw while leaving 3lb of "control" before firing.

I always recommend practicing dry firing in the same manner you will actually fire the gun. You build quality muscle memory you cannot get from just sitting yanking the DA pull. You have to concentrate as much while dry firing as you would firing the gun at the range. Do this every single day for 20 minutes for 30 or even 10 days and I can guarantee your draw, presentation and trigger control will improve.

When you go to the range shoot the gun DA then decock and shoot it again DA. Shoot the gun the same way you have been dry firing. You are now adding the live fire component on top of the foundation of good dry firing practice. I often will do this from the draw from my holster of choice 20-50 times depending on my mood. Used to do it more than I do now but still do it to keep the skill. This is where you will see the benefits of your dry firing time.

This is only half of the equation. The next part is the transition to the SA pull. You need to again learn "your" trigger. I again recommend learning to "prep" or "hard prep" the SA shot just like the DA. Once you have fired the DA shot as the gun cycles you can feel the trigger reset. As the slide is moving take the slack out of the trigger. As you get better at "prepping" it you can even take 2 of the 4lbs off the SA trigger. Once the gun has completed cycling with the trigger "prepped" you simply get a sight picture and finish the shot. Rinse and repeat.

Once I have the DA pull on a gun dialed in I then load 3 rounds into a mag. Draw, present and fire the first round in DA, hard prep the second shot, take it and then prep the 3rd, take it. Once I am getting solid results on paper, I progress to more rounds until you can fire an entire mag with satisfactory results.

I've been using this drill for a while now it is well named.

Dot Torture drill

For my CZ decocker, I make sure to start each bit hammer down, so the first shot each time is double action then any shots after that are single action.

This gives me a mix of trigger pulls and several transitions between the pulls.

Try running it each range session for a while, get to where you can shoot it clean and then start speeding up slowly from there.

Do you already own a revolver? If so, they can give lots of DA practice. Taking one of mine out this weekend for that exact reason. ;)

Oh man. You're going to have to get used to it, that's about all I can tell you to be honest.

I'll tell you what else though. Once you do get used to it, there's not a whole lot of other platforms you'll like better.

DA / SA has been my favorite. I went from SAO, to striker, to DA / SA, and I've basically stuck with it. Granted, I've carried Glocks as well. My home base is the DA / SA system.

Here are some great ways to get used to that DA pull:
  • Snap Caps! (just be sure to load S.C.s in with an empty mag)
  • Decocker, it's your friend. After every shot at the range while learning the trigger break, decocker and do it over and over again.
  • Practive drills. Triple taps. From the hip, "punching out", etc. Decock. Do it again.

After years of SA pistol use only, I decided to renew my acquaintance with DA revolvers.
Rather than dry fire a revolver with dubious feedback results, I got one of these.
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosman_Vigilante_CO2_Revolver/3253
It has a rifled barrel for lead pellets and is very accurate with realistic action and feedback from holes in an actual target.
It works great and provides a lot of trigger time right at home.
P.S.
I'm on my second one, having plumb wore out the first one.

Back