all in one or separate cleaner, lubricants and preservatives?

kerosene
mineral spirits
clp
tranny fluid
high temp grease
motor oil
hoppes #9
you can even get janitorial grade ammonia if you really want to get the copper out.
it all works

>kerosene
mineral spirits
clp
tranny fluid
high temp grease
motor oil
hoppes #9
you can even get janitorial grade ammonia if you really want to get the copper out.
it all works<

That sounds right to me.
Can you (or anybody) give some info on using the ammonia to deal w/ copper?

I like Synthetic Safe Gun Scrubber followed by compressed air. It blasts all the crud loose and away pretty good. It temporarily dulls the finish of some parts but after cleaning I wipe everything with a silicone treated rag and after that it looks better than new and adds a nice protective coating. If I lived in a more humid area this regimen may need to be more intensive.

As far as lube, that depends what room I am in and what I am oiling. Pistols get either Hoppes Elite, Mobil 1, or some stuff that's so old the label has worn from the bottle and I don't remember what it is.

I am a huge fan of the Boresnake.

Last edited:
Anything that is supposed to do everything pretty good does none of them very well. I use solvent, lubricant, and preservative.

has anyone had experience with lucas gun oil?

Yes. I got some when it first came out and tried it. I seemed good so I tested it, eventually extensively. As a materials engineer with a lot of time in motorsports and graduate coursework in tribology, I knew that almost all gun oils are overpriced basestocks with little or no testing for the actual application and some are just outright scams, so I was skeptical. I continued to test and research it and since about 6 months ago Lucas Products are all I use.

They make 2 Oils, one is odorless for hunting and one is the Extreme for semi-autos. I have over 45K rounds fired utilizing Lucas Products now. They also make a grease, which I use on my carry pistol, and a CLP which I use on my .22LRs. I use their metal polish for a bunch of things; a final polish on machine work, feedramps and on a cloth to just take off residue. I also use it with Corncob media to polish my brass (AMAZING) and I just finished an extensive test of the bore cleaner used in an Ultrasonic and am very happy with it.

For the OP, I find CLPs tend to be a good solution for rimfires, but I use a separate cleaner and lube for everything else. CLPs don't tend to stay put like the better lubes.

Back