all-around NA hunting caliber

Well, Elker, which of the two rifles do you like better, caliber aside?
I'm going for a 7mm mag or 30-06, teetering toward the '06 mostly because of the lower recoil.
I think if I found the right rifle in either I'd take it.
Around here I can get a new M70 for around $600 or less.
The Rugers go for about $450.

IIRC, one of the reasons for the choice of 7mm was to get the speed of the bullet up while not having more recoil than a .30-06. From my experiance, there is not much if any difference.

I agree, not much of a difference!

Well, there is not much of a difference between the two as far as I can tell on the recoil....Course I did have a BOSS installed on the Ruger which may have made the simularity.

To answer your question, I guess after all considerations the 7mm with a BOSS might be a choice that I would recommend. However, that old '06 sure still lingers in my mind.

:D :D

Happy Shootin!

Gentlemen,

My choice for a great all around NA (and most of Africa too) rifle is my Ruger M77 MkII in 7mm Rem Mag. I have used in on game from blacktail to eland, and it has worked excellent. I put a Hogue pillar-bedded stock to replace the canoe paddle factory stock, and the accuracy is phenomenol. No problem shooting 1/2 MOA.

175 gr. Nosler Partitions over a healthy charge of IMR 7828 works like a champ.

That being said, I really don't think you could go wrong with a .30-06 or .308 either.

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

If i had only one long gun, it'd be a .308.

.308s are more comfortable, muzzle blast wise in shorter barrel lengths, so you can have a shorter, handier rifle compared to an 06.

the savage scout or the ruger m77 mkII compact would be near the top of my list, as well as a short action model 70 (pre64 ish).

unfortunately for me, i'm a lefty, so i basically can't find a short action bolt gun in .308 with the bolt handle on the proper side, with a mauser extractor.

.308 For the reasons posted both for it and the 30-06. There is little real energy gained from an '06 and the .308 has a shorter throw. Go get a Rem 700 ss dm in .308...you'll never regret it.

Back