all-around NA hunting caliber

youngun

I did a cursory search, for those of you who would suggest it....

I'm interested in folks' opinions on a good all-around hunting rifle for US/Canada.

Seems the contenders are .270 Win, 7mm Rem Mag, .30-06, and .300 Win Mag - the first being a little on the light side, the last being a bit much.

Assuming you already have a .22 LR and a .375 H&H, what best fits this bill?

Thanks.

youngun

"Assuming you already have a .22 LR and a .375 H&H, what best fits this bill?"

We have a number of folks here who adore the .375 H&H for big bear, moose and elk.

Now, the .375 isn't necessary for elk, but if you already have one, you can move down a bit and limit the intermediate cartridge for one suitable for deer and antelope. Since you already have a .22 rimfire, you're also including varmint-shooting capability in this intermediate cartridge.

IMO, the .243 or 6mm Rem are a bit light for mule deer. A .25-'06 or .270 is good for mulies and antelope and varmints. A 7mm-08 would also do well. (No flies on .308 or '06, but I'm sorta trying to stay in "middle-ground".)

There are numerous other cartridges which would serve, but the above should provide an idea of reasonable power levels.

:), Art

I think you're going to find that you can hunt just about anything in North America with the exclusion of the very biggest game with a 30-06.

The really redeeming feature is there is such a wide variety of loadings and weights that you can find something right for everything from squirrels to moose.

Springfield

While I am dyed-in-wool 7mm Magnum fan, I will admit that it doesn't quite have the same flexibility as an '06. I can't believe that almost 100 years after it was introduced, we haven't found anything that can do everything it will do.

My question is this: is there really such thing as TOO much for a deer rifle? I mean, aside from strange looks from the locals, what is wrong with using a .338 on a Mississipi white tail? How much meat will you really lose?

JMO, I'd stick with the old 06...I've used one for about 40 years
and haven't found anything yet that it won't take. Ammo is abailable almost every where. With proper shot placement, it will take anything on the NA continent without the muzzle blast.
Dan

Opinions are like eyeballs, most folks have them

"...eyeballs", Dan? :D

I reckon my views on the '06 are well known; it's my "If I only had one rifle" choice.

If I were certainteed sure of a neck shot on an Alaskan bear, I'd touch her off. I'd sure never worry about any other NA animal.

:), Art

My take is that there is no big difference (assuming good bullets with the same SD) from the 6.5/.270 to the .300 Win Mag. All are fine to 300 yards, then your higher velocities help with a bit flatter trajectory to 400 y or so. Beyond that, range estimation and wind really raise cain.

What I like about the .30-06 is the availability of ammo.

As to "too much gun" for critters, it just isn't a problem. I've killed a spate of stuff with a .375 and you just get a hole in the critter. When you start to get severe meat damage is when you use a fast caliber in close. Couple of examples - one buddy hit a deer with a .25-06 (not sure of bullet) in the shoulder at close range and vaporized the shoulder. Another club member poped a whitetail between the shoulder blades from a tree stand (maybe 25 feet) with a .308 silvertip. Massive damage. But as Elmer said, you can eat lmost to the hole. :D

I will always rather have some meat damage that a lost wounded deer. Which is what a lot of the sub .25 caliber users seem to report more frequantly than the < .25 caliber shooters.

Giz

All around caliber for North American game would be .54, as in a .54 caliber Hawkins rifle from T/C Arms.

You can use lite loads with roundball for small to medium game and then use heavy loads with Maxi-Ball conicals for the really big game

TC Hawkins rifle

Nice to see so much support for the '06.
It's what I was settling into.

Now, Winchester pre '64 M70 or Ruger 77?

Also, how do the "new" pre '64's rate?
Is it the same animal?

Thanks again

While it's a guess about day-to-day quality, today's rifles have the potential for better accuracy than the older ones, just because of better equipment. Higher control of tolerances in turning or milling; sharper cutting edges.

This quality issue is of lesser importance in a hunting rifle, as one does not need 1/4 MOA to kill an elk.

That said, there is often a "feel" to older rifles that is somehow missing in the new versions. Don't ask me to define it; it's an individual thing.

I've always been impressed by the NIB accuracy of the Rugers I've had, both the 77 and the 77 Mk II. The factory trigger in the latter needs replacing, however.

I've always had one MOA accuracy out of pre-64 Model 70s, and they do have a great "feel" to them.

Hope this ramblin' helps,

Art

That's an easy one, if it can't be done with a 30-06 it can't be done at all.

If I were to have only one rifle in NA that would be it.

I have one good question...

What about a Marlin 30-30 for a general rifle, or are the bullets to large for just any game?

I'm looking to getting a Deer rifle and I want to know what the purpose of a 30-30 over a 30-06 would be.

~Merc

mercury,

The two shoot the same diameter bullet, although bullet construction is different due to action types & velocities.

.30-30's a "150 yard" gun, where the .30-06 can be used easily enough at twice that range. '06 can shoot a heavier bullet faster = bigger stuff & further away.

.30-30's fine for a more woodsy area where shots will be relatively short(er), but the .30-06 is certainly decent up close as well.

.30-06 is plenty good for anything NA while the .308's actually my current fave.

Having a 375 that you could use for everything from elk up then I would go for a 264 winchester mag. It shoots extremely flat for use on longer range game like antelope. It is also easily powerful enough for mule dear or even elk if you desire. There are also really light bullets for small stuff like prairie dogs. It shoots a lot flatter than anything else mentioned and has fantastic sectional density at the heavier bullet ranges.

30-06: lots of bullet wieghts, easy to find ammo, lots of good rifles.

.308 does everything a 30-06 can do except load a 220 grain bullet.
270 is a nice mid size critter gun, but I wouldn't use it on a moose.

If the answer is everything BUT Alaskan bears, the 30-06 is hard to beat.

A toss up.

I have shot many a fine caliber, but after using the '06 (Winchester M70) for 35 years on everything except Moose and larger, and then a 7mmMag (Ruger 77) for the past five years on everything except Moose and larger, I am hard pressed to select the winner.

I would suggest that either caliber would be a winner!! :)

Back