all around lubricant

Long time user of Synthetic 10w30 motor oil, never had a lubrication issue with it.

Working with Ballistol now as a CLP. Jury is still out on it and the wife will not let it in the house. Ballistol has an overpowering smell of aniseed but seems to work well. So far I like it better than Breakfree CLP but not as much as Weapon Shield.

I asked the instructor today at the Glock Armorer's course about ATF. He stated that he wouldn't use it on his own guns but that he was unaware of any official information from Glock on the use of ATF on their firearms.
Ballistol has an overpowering smell of aniseed but seems to work well.
It seems to do a decent job of lubrication, but it's not as good a cleaner as Breakfree CLP, and, based on the informal corrosion testing I've seen, it's not as good a corrosion protectant either.

I've been using it for a few months--got some just to try it out. I've used it for removing cosmoline and for some lubrication tasks. Other than the caveats above, it's a decent product if you don't mind the smell.

It may be "well above average" as a corrosion protector but I didn't claim anything to the contrary. What I said was that it wasn't as good as BreakFree CLP as a corrosion protectant, and I based that opinion on the results of various informal tests I've looked at.

Here's a thread that links to several corrosion preventive tests.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508243

The tests referred to in your links are included in the thread, however, neither of those particular tests compare BF CLP to Ballistol. The 6mmBR test uses BF CLP but not Ballistol, and the muzzleloading test uses Ballistol but not BF CLP.
BTW, Ballistol smells just fine.
I'm sure some folks think so, but I'm not one of them. Neither, apparently is mumbo719's wife, nor these persons:

"...Ballistol smells TERRRIBLE!"
"...I've noticed it does have a distinct - and now to me - unpleasant odor."
"...I quit using it because I can't stand the smell of it."
"I don't like the smell..."
"The smell is so bad and strong it actually upsets my stomach I mean instantly upon smelling it."
"...it does smell like dirty gym socks..."
"The smell of Ballistol almost makes me sick..."

You may be especially surprised to read the following person's opinion. He says, with regard to Ballistol's smell: "I think most would not like it." ;)

I've been playing around with Froglube lately and so far I'm happy. It works as described and my wife does not hate the smell.

I use CLP to clean/lube for a short time, but i find a grease of some kind is best for me. White lithium grease and Hoppes No. 9 gun grease

This is a crazy sickness which I have been as guilty as anyone for years. I've been obsessed with cleaning my pistols but I doubt I have ever shot more than 250 rounds in one session. The guns just don't get that dirty and unless you are a very heavy user, I say any name brand lubricant will work and be just fine. Believe me, I have enough product in my garage to last several lifetimes, and what do I do now? I clean with hoppes 9 and and lube with pro shot gold grease. Works just fine

A 16oz spray/pump bottle of BreakFree CLP costs about $25. Let's assume a hypothetical shooter uses 4oz of gun oil a year. Over the course of the 4 years it would take to use up a $25 bottle of CLP, this hypothetical shooter would save $23.50 by using motor oil. Less than $6 a year.

From my perspective what would be nuts would be using a makeshift product to avoid an "expense" that works out to about a dime a week.

KEYBEAR, If spending $6.00 a year on gun oil is a hardship, send me documentation to prove that fact in a PM, along with your shipping address, and I'll send you a bottle of good quality gun oil at no charge. My choice of oil, but what do you care? It will be better than motor oil--and cheaper. :D

And 5 quarts of Mobil-1 Full Synth costs that same $25.
Good for your lifetime
Your son's lifetime
Your grandson's lifetime
Your Great grandson's........

I could go on... but there I go being misogynistic again :p

(Actually -- the way things are going -- that 5 quarts may likely outlast Ben Franklin's Republic as well)
:mad:

And 5 quarts of Mobil-1 Full Synth costs that same $25.
Good for your lifetime
Your son's lifetime
Your grandson's lifetime
Your Great grandson's........
Even with an infinite supply of free motor oil, it's impossible to save more than it costs to buy the gun oil. Which means the "savings" is a few bucks a year, at most.

By the way, those who are bent on using something other than gun oil can definitely do better than motor oil. According to Grant Cunningham, ATF beats motor oil in every category. Here's his quote:

I recommend staying away from motor oils; if you must use something from the auto parts store, ATF performs better for firearms use on every count...

Well I have been using Mi-comm TW25 synthetic oil & TW25B synthetic grease for years. I think it is the best out there.IMO. It is also what our military uses & I can see why.I use the oil on everything but the rails that I use the grease some grease on the bolt's on my AK's & SKS,etc. Use rem oil on the outside of the guns then wipe them down. Does the trick for me gun's run great stay lubed.

I use Triflow. It penetrates fairly well and then thickens slightly so it stays were you put it. I used to use an aerosol can, one would last about a decade of use. Now I use a 2oz bottle that comes with a plastic straw so I can put a single drop exactly where I want it. IIRC, it was about $5 at the local hardware store.

Just be cautioned by the Grant Cunningham article linked-to by Db45-70, that there are benzene compounds in motor oil additives, so you don't want it on bare skin, and especially don't want those carcinogens on children's skin, as they're the ones most likely to live long enough to suffer the consequences. This is something I did not know before. Also, note his comment about motor oils having poor corrosion resistance. That's probably because they have to flow and clean themselves off surfaces, so they can't stick too ferociously.

If you print on the can of Mobil-1 (Gun Oil) your all set.
Grant Cunningham's article explains why motor oils aren't a great choice for gun oil.

There is one reason and one reason only to use motor oil as a gun care product and that reason is to save a few dollars a year. (I didn't say there was a good reason. :D ) If one takes any of the other considerations into account motor oil loses out to any decent gun oil and even to some other readily available products such as ATF.

Just to be clear, this topic shouldn't be viewed as being a primer on how to avoid screwing up your gun. With careful maintenance, practically any oil can be made to work adequately. But that's not the same thing as saying that they're all the same. Theyre' not--not by a long shot.

Someone's going to have to parse out the acute problems with Full Synth Mobil-1 HERE:
http://www.msds.exxonmobil.com/IntApps/psims/psims.aspx
(insert "Mobil-1" on the Product Box

I'm not seeing it.
(I also noted that Cunningham's 11-year old article simply referred to things as "motor oil". The fact that there was no differentiation/mention whatsoever of the explosion of fully synthetic lubricants of late caught my eye)

But I guess I'll throw some bare metal out into the grass with about 30 different that lubes I've collected over the years and see what happens.
(oops... someone else already did: https://forums.1911forum.com/showpost.php?p=1230598&postcount=1 )

Last edited:
Back