ak47more powerful than m16

What is the probability of those 1980's vintage Stingers still being useable? I read somewhere that they require periodic maintenance, so they don't have a limitless shelf life, so to speak.

Highly unlikely for an early 1980's Stinger to be useable past 15 years. The batteries at best last 12 years (lithium technology) and the rocket motors lose their punch.

Not much chance with an AK or M 16.
RPGs sure worked in Somalia. More relible than a 20 year old Stinger and probobly more common.
Also, I beleive they have the quad 23mm.
That out to make a mess of most anything.

The best and simplest method to fight a gunship is to be in a fox hole with overhead cover. Stay there till it passes and hope someone has a Stringer, MaDuce or a Quad.

I've seen both Huey and Coba gunship work out and you may want to fire on one but I'll stay in my hole.

Turk

What kind of helos do you mean? Light observation craft aren't armored (not as much) and can be damaged with small arms fire. Assault craft are armored, once again, "ARMOURED".

Anyone trying to fire on Military assault helos with rifles are asking to eat an assortment of rocket & minigun.

The Afghan or Arab fighter wasn't trained by Hollywood movies, so he doesn't know that he's supposed to stand up and unload his weapon at passing aircraft. Being used to warfare, he knows that he can hide now, then creep up and mortar the pilot's camp later that night.

The batteries for the Stinger missile should still be fine. They use a unique type of one-shot battery technology known as a "thermal battery."

It uses a powdered eutectic lithium alloy that is formed into thin slices and stacked in a round can, with cells separated by pyrotechnic powder. All of it has a hole running down the center to allow activation by a squib charge. The battery is inert until used -- when the squib charge fires, the pyro melts the lithium alloy, allowing ion flow between the anode (lithium blend) and the cathode of the cells. It only provides power as long as the cells stay hot...for the Stinger missile, only long enough to track and hit an aircraft.

The batteries have a storage life (in some cases) of over 20 years.

I used to design these things, sat next to the guy who did the Stinger missile. I did the batteries used in the Javelin anti-tank weapon. Hope our guys knock out a few Taliban tanks with something I helped out with.

Dunno if the Stinger rocket propellants are still any good, but I'm sure the batteries will power up. Our military knows this and I'm sure they are taking appropriate countermeasures.

K

Back