AK-series malfunction clearance/reload technique

I'm right-handed. I tuck the butt under my right armpit, maintain my firing grip with the right hand, put the fresh mag on the right side, use my left thumb to hit the mag release, and rock the old one out and the new one in. It takes some getting used to, but it's doable, if awkward. Though I've gotta admit that if somebody was shooting at me, I probably couldn't do it that way, so it may not be too useful a skill to learn.

For mag changes, here's how I do it.
I do the change with my right hand on the grip, slightly depress the muzzle, release the mag with the tip of my right middle finger and let the empty mag fall out. I then rock the new mag in and reach under the gun and hook the charging handle with my thumb, palm flat on the receiver. I do this whether the mag is empty or not, that way it doesnt matter, the gun is always loaded at the end of the mag change. You can also alter this to do a mag swap without dumping the mag by holding the full mag at the base of the one of the one in the gun with the curve reversed and the top down. You release it the same way, rock the old one out, drop your hand slightly and then rock the new one in. The top on the new one will be facing up when you finish rocking the old one out and ready to go right in the mag well. After I pocket the mag, I still work the action to be sure I'm loaded. I know a lot of people like the extended mag releases and "wings", but the really are not necessary(nor are the modified safeties for that matter). With a little practice, you can easily dump the mag with just slightly shifting your grip, and pretty much every AK I've ever done this on has dropped the mag 95% of the time without any help. For those that do need help, a quick bump at the back with the left hand knocks the empty out. I would suggest that you break the edges on the mag release where it contacts the mag with a jewelers file though, just to make things a little easier and smoother. This is what tends to grab or hold some mags.

One thing about AK mag changes you may want to keep in mind and maybe try so you understand it. Its not something you run across often, especially if you use your off hand to do the change, but its always a possibility I guess, especially with some of the ill fitting mag wells some WASR's have and it will totally tie the gun up. If you change AK mags using your strong hand, you may want to change your ways. I believe the Russians and Com Bloc troops are/were taught to change the mag out while holding the rifles forearm with the left hand, and resting the butt on the left thigh, you use the right hand to change the mag. The placement of the mag pouches on their belts tends to prove this out. I was told this by someone who was taught in the US military for a weapons familiarity course from Russian manuals. He also told me of a mag malfunction that will pretty much totally tie the gun up by using this method. I had never run across it as I use my left hand to do the mag swap and after trying to "make" it happen, I finally did, and it aint a fun thing to have happen. Basically what happens is, if the front of the mag misses the catch point of the front of the mag well as you rock it in, the mag will still catch at the rear under the release. The mag is not seated properly and the bolt carrier will not strip a round from the mag. The mag is now jammed in the well and you cant depress the mag catch to get it out. You basically have to hold it by the barrel, put the stock on the ground and kick the mag out with your boot from the front towards the rear. Believe me, its not a fun malfunction. As I said, I use my left hand and had never run across anything like it and it seems to be more prone to happen using your right hand to swap mags with. One pretty sure way to avoid this malfunction, regardless of which hand you use, is to start the mag with it almost parallel with the barrel as the front enters the well, you should not have any trouble. If you try to start it to vertical, like an M16 mag, this is where you will get into trouble.

The best thing you can do is find what works best for you and practice it until you dont have to think about it. I know there are a lot of complaints about the AK's not having a bolt hold open device, but it really doesnt matter if you get in the habit of ALWAYS stroking the bolt after a mag change, empty mag or not, as you will know the rifle is loaded at the end.

AK103K,

I've had that lockup happen as well. In my case, the magazine fell out of its own accord. Since then, I make double-sure that the front portion is seated before rocking the magazine in.

DogConfetti,

I say that I think the maneuver I described is iffy not because I haven't practiced it enough, but because it's not particularly fool-proof. First, a full AK mag is pretty heavy and unwieldy. Second, unless you have freakishly huge hands, you can't bring your opposable thumb into play -- you're clamping the two magazines together between your palm and fingers. Third, there's nothing to index the fresh mag against, so it can slide around (and sometimes out of your grip) if you're moving. I could go on, but you get the idea. Factor in sweaty hands and a big jolt of adrenalin and I think it'd probably fail more often than it'd succeed. It'd be a lot less error-prone to simply remove and stow the partially-depleted mag before grabbing the full one, or to use the "speed-load" technique of pressing the magazine release with the full magazine, then rock-and-lock, depending on the urgency of the situation.

Tommy V

I had an opportunity to try your method out this afternoon...It works, but like you said it is awkward. I'm not sure I understand why you put the fresh mag on the right side...it was working for me on the left a little better (I am right handed). I don't have very large hands, but I was able to get a reasonably positive grip in both mags and still reach the mag release with my left thumb. I have a rough time all around though...I'm so used to AR's that the whole "rocking" thing is really unnatural to me.

AK jams...
step one. look at weapon and say outloud "&%^"
step two. drop weapon in sand
step three. pick up another AK

Back