Airline legal implements

Those zip ties may not be as innocuous to security as you think.

I recently returned from a trip to Australia. On the return flight, every single piece of hand luggage was searched at the gate (yes, every piece - supposedly the US is now requiring this of all airplanes coming into the US, regardless of origin :rolleyes: ). In my carry-on bag I had a small ziplock of about ten 3-inch long zip ties. (I use these to tie the zipper pulls of my checked luggage before giving them to the counter agent.) The agent pulled them out questioningly and then proceeded to get her supervisor's approval before allowing me to keep them. Maybe they were afraid I was going to make thumb restraints out of them. I don't know.

Interesting! Three inch cable ties are restricted now.

Next we'll have to clip our fingernails before we fly if they extend past the finger-tips. Of course, since they are NOT profiling, I wonder if a grimy, dark skinned fellow with a beard, turban, robe and AK will be allowed to just walk right on...

I guess the only solution left is Glide dental floss and learn to tie no slipping knots well. Has anyone had dental floss questioned or taken?

Back