Airgun for squirrel shooting? (30 feet max.)

Air rifles today are worlds away from the BB guns we had as kids I soon found out.
That be true. When I was a kid, cheap, inaccurate Daisy's for us poor kids, Benjamin's, Sheridan's for the rich kids. Nowadays, when someone mentions "air rifle", they are talking about an adult product with accuracy that rivals firearm accuracy at short range and priced accordingly. The kid stuff we had was junk.

dahermit:
That's true, I still have my first Daisy BB gun from the 50's. The spring is weak now, I don't think it'll even go 10' but I still have it hanging in the basement.

I have a Crosman 2100 Classic that I got back in the early 1980's (when I was just starting high school).
Kept it in near new condition and only a few months ago put a BB through the eye socket of a squirrel in a tree at ~30 feet.
This was with open sights - still have not yet gotten around to mounting that scope...

Get a decent 'budget' rifle like the Crosman 2100 Classic, take care of it through the years and it'll take care of you...

Cheers,
Mike

Benjamin Trail NP Air Pistol .177

I used the break barrel Benjamin Trail NP Air Pistol .177 600 FPS for close range squirrel pest control and eliminated 6 last year. All were close range (under 10 yards) with mostly head shots. It killed them humanely.

I now have a stock Crosman 2240 .22cal rated at 460FPS, but being a .22cal it can go slower with the same similary stopping power to my .177 NP, so we'll see. I haven't bagged any yet. I only use pointed pellets because air pistols at low FPS, there won't be any expansion of hollow points. At low velocity, I want as much penetration as possible, so I go with the pointed pellets. If I had a high FPS air rifle, then I'd go with the hollow points.

I use my GAMO 22 cal break barrel rifle.
However I dont shoot tree rats aka squirrels unless I plan on eating um. I let them be unless they are a nuisance. I have my house squirrel proofed as far as attic access.
They torment my dog sometimes but its nothing worth killing um over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a 4 year old thread that will probably get locked soon.
If you want to talk about air guns it's best to start a new one.

I have a Benjamin / Crosman HB22 .22 caliber pump up pistol, only shoots a little over 400FPS, but works fine on small furry pests that rob my bird feeders. I prefer lighter wadcutters, as the reduced weight helps the projectile gain a bit of speed. In my rifle, Benjamin 392, which has more power, I prefer hollow points. Shot placement is the key!

Back