air rifle ?

rebs

I hope this is in the right section ?
I am looking to buy an accurate air rifle in either 177 or 22 caliber. I don't know much about them other than I want one that is a break cocking action and is quite accurate. Does anyone have one that they strongly recommend ? I would like to be accurate to maybe 100 feet if thats possible, 50 yards would be even better if it's possible ?

The biggest issue with longer range accuracy in airguns is that air rifle pellets have ballistic coefficients in the range of .01 to .025, meaning they lose velocity very fast and also experience a lot of drift in a crosswind. Even a gentle you barely feel it five mph crosswind can push a pellet over a couple of inches at 50 yards.

That all depends on how much you want to spend and how accurate you want to be.

I have an old gamo 220, that was rated at 1000fps in .177. I have a 3" square steel target I shoot it at and can ring it pretty consistently, offhand at 50 yds with the iron sights. Maybe 8 out of 10 shots on a good day. I'd say its functionally very accurate, but its not a single hole benchrest kind of gun. Its more of a hunting/sporting rifle.

If you're looking for teeny tiny groups, you probably need to look for more of a target type rifle. Most of the sporters will shoot good groups, but not competition/measure it with a caliper type of groups.

As long as you stay in the 1000fps or faster class you will be fine shooting out to 50 yards. At 100 ft its pretty much point and shoot. At 50 yards, you may have to slightly adjust your hold. A good gun will perform consistently and you can learn the trajectory just like you would with a regular rifle.

My next air rifle will most likely be a benjamin trail NP:
http://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/break-barrel/BT1122WNP

I'd also like a maruader, but neither one is a high enough priority for me to spend the money right now.

I have a beeman that a friend talked me into years ago. Very accurate more then me on most days. Mine is. 177. After a few times shooting he upgraded to a 25 Cal and added a 22 at the same time. If I had. It to do all over again I would have a hard time not chossing the 25. It is a little slower but very little deviation to wind. And can drop a squirl from 40-50 yards without a problem.

check out the beeman kodiak in 20. i think 177 is too small and 25 is to slow. the kodiak will shoot the eyes out of queens at 50 yards all day long. beeman used to be the the pellet gun to have until some of the others started flooding the market with cheaper knock offs

Ya kodiac is what my buddy has. Been a few years since I have seen him but that is one sweet air rifle. Great shooter.

CCI Quiet .22 subsonic long rifle ammo is airgun quiet, maybe quieter and shoots pretty good groups at 50 yards and a 40 grain .22 bullet with a BC of about .13 drifts a lot less in a crosswind than any air rifle pellet.

fifty yard group

020-1.jpg

Yea, I know it isn't an air rifle but in most places where it's illegal to discharge a firearm, it's just as illegal to discharge an air rifle.

Well, I don't have a recommendation for a break action barrel pellet rifle.

But I can recommend a Daisy 953, an underlever cocker. I upgraded mine with a Daisy competition rear sight, and a pyramidair globe front sight. I ordered the sling and sling mount directly from the Daisy customer service department.

Used to be you could get the Daisy Avanti 853 from the CMP (from ROTC shooting programs). The 853 is the more expensive version because it uses a Lothar Walther barrel and laminate wood stock. So far I haven't been able to shoot the 953 accurately enough to deserve an upgrade, so I will keep training on it until I wear it out or get good enough to need a better rifle.

I do my training at 33 feet, aka 10 meters, shooting ISSF bullseye targets. So far I have managed to get more than half the points on an 8 bull page only once.

Jimro

Get a Weihrauch HW97k in .20!!!
Great accuracy
Super solid construction
i shot 200+ mice and rats with mine

After owning 10 or 15 different air rifles, i can tell you nothing can touch the hw97k

only drawback, its a little heavy.

For around $200 or a little over, I'd recommend an RWS 34, or a Benjamin Nitro-something (Trail or Titan, whichever has the integral rail). There are other good choices, but those would be mine. If you don't need much power, the Air Venturi Bronco would be an excellent choice, too; it's got good sights, good trigger, and is easy to shoot well.

The RWS-34 is a great value. I have a Beeman/Webley C-1 and while people will tell you that you need more power/velocity, I can tell you you can hunt easily with 12 ft/lbs of power.

I have a .22 caliber RWS 34 that's pretty accurate out 50 yards or so. It may be accurate further, but I haven't really tried. I really like the fiber optic sights it came with, and the adjustable 2-stage trigger is excellent. The overall quality of the rifle is impressive.

i have a gamo big cat 1200, pushes a .177 pellet at 1200fps, have a nice little 4x scope on it, works fantastic on tree rats (squirrels) out to about 35-40 yds, believe it was about $200 at basspro

Those advertised 1200 fps velocities happen only with the lightest pellets you can buy, the ones that aren't made out of lead.
If it doesn't make a cracking sound like a .22LR bullet does when you shoot it, it's not going 1200 fps.

Those advertised 1200 fps velocities happen only with the lightest pellets you can buy, the ones that aren't made out of lead.
If it doesn't make a cracking sound like a .22LR bullet does when you shoot it, it's not going 1200 fps.
:confused:

...anyway.. I recently bought a Gamo Hornet for around a hundred bucks, including a scope. I have tried a couple of different pellet types, and have come to the conclusion that each rifle is different as to which pellet type it likes. I shot this group across my back yard, probably about 15 yards or so.
I understand you don't expect to get the best groups until you've put 500-1000 pellets through the rifle.
I've been really pleased with it, so far. Now I just need to figure out how to get the grackles to come back around the house.
GamoHunter3-11-12-1.jpg

Explanation for my previous post:
The speed of sound is 1125 fps when the air temperature is 68 degrees F. 1200 fps is faster than that so a pellet going that fast will make a sound similar to the cracking of a whip.
The familiar sound of a .22 rifle is mostly due to the sound that the supersonic bullet makes when going through the air.

If you don't hear that whip cracking sound when you shoot, your pellets are going slower than the speed of sound. Those advertised velocities are based on velocities using pellets made of extra light copper or zinc based alloys. Regular lead pellets will go slower, but will retain their velocities better so even though they are slower at the muzzle, they may actually be much faster at 25 or 50 yards.

I'm just saying, don't take those velocity claims too seriously, there's a lot of puffery in advertising. I have one air pistol that's supposed to shoot 400 fps, I also have a chronograph and it says about 350 fps.

Also, spring-air pellet guns are extremely sensitive to how they are supported and putting them on a hard rest can really open up the groups. There is a lot of gun movement when the spring piston fires and if the gun is not supported exactly the same way every shot, the gun movement during firing will not be exactly the same, and this will change the point of impact.
If you are going to use it offhand, sight it in shooting offhand.

Last edited:
Back