aiming due to recoil?

i'm sure i'm late but i'll put it out there anyway. i was in the army. they teach you how to shoot...and quite well. someone who never touched a rifle in their life could shoot like a pro in weeks. and often better than those who "knew how to shoot" before joining. no bad habits to unlearn. after going too long without shooting, i came back with bad habits. so i took my rifle of choice and dry fired it countless times, for days. i'm now hitting 600 meter sillhouettes consistantly again. the dime method (coin on the barrel) is great for both breathing and trigger "squeeze" (not "pull"). there are also a lot of ways to work on sight picture and such. my suggestion, find someone giving a class and take it. don't like that, buy a video or some books. don't like that, maybe you can find something online. step 1, learn proper techinques and use them in an empty weapon. step 2, apply to live ammo. in the army, you "practice" fire with absolutely no ammo for a week before you ever fire that first bullet. develop the technique before you develop the bad habits you'll have to break. make it second nature. as for what that technique is, i'll give you the army's answer...breathe, relax, aim, squeeze. everything put out by others covers those four steps...one thing they left out a lot is "relax" though. you HAVE to be comfortable and relax. cheesey as it sounds, i have my own zen, meditation method (yeah, i'm a black belt too, sorry, carries over). i relax my body by taking a few slow, steady breaths. then i continue that steady, calm breathing, sight my target, and squeeze in the natural pause between breaths. so on top of everything everyone said, find a way to calm yourself.

+1 on not controlling the recoil. Just let it happen, accept that it will happen. All you can do is make a perfect trigger pull and let the gun do it's thing.

The amount, type, direction, whatever type of recoil there is, well, that's what it is. The key is to keep your focus on the front sight, and allow the gun to recoil. That's the gun's time to do it's thing. Your time is when you pull the trigger. Learn to share.

Track the front sight through recoil and watch it return to your index. Once it's there, repeat that perfect trigger pull for another shot on target. Slow, steady practice will lead to fast, accurate shots with nearly any caliber.

Back