aging eyes... best target sights for traditional muzzleloader???

Yes. By their very nature Flintlocks tend to get BP residue pushed down between the barrel/vent area and the lock plate.
May not be much, but you'll always see Flinchers tooth-brushing their locks after an event. ;)

thanks... I'll have to take a look... I've never removed mine... though it hasn't been shot much by me, except for MRS putting about 50 rounds through it last weekend... but I bought it used, so who knows what the back side looks like??? it's currently sitting muzzle down in front of the dehumidifier, in the gun safe room

I've been cleaning them in the bath tub ( MRS gives me a huge dirty look... but I explain I'm just trying to take good care of her dad's rifles ) :) will have to try using a 5 gallon bucket, as she makes me clean the tub afterwards, & that takes about as long as it does to clean a gun :o

Don't OCD on the cleaning. ;) :D

Wash/swab it out/over like you would a drinking glass using the same dilute dish-soap & water
Then just swab it out/over with normal CLP-like gun oil.
20 minutes MAX.
Done.

I have finally reached the age "72" that I can no longer see my front sight on my
pistol even with a 1.75 diopter reading glasses that I use to shoot with. This I
found out last week. With the Nationals at Friendship coming up in 4 weeks I
got to do something. I browered a Merit Optical Attchment and stuck them on
my reading shooting glasses and WOW! I can see the sights clearly again as
as the target. Today I ordered one for me. Some shooters supply up in Iowa
Bullseye Shooters I think. They were the cheapest at 56 dollars. I'm going to
shoot the 100 yd pistol match this time. I expect to win it too! My little 32
ought to be deadly at 100 yds. I know some of you are probably rolling your
eyes by now, but hey, the old mans got to have a little fun.I promise I will
post and let everybody know just how I did.
Phil

PS. Anybody know what the drop is going to be at 100 yds with a 48 grain 32
round ball starting out at 1000 fps?

PS. Anybody know what the drop is going to be at 100 yds with a 48 grain 32
round ball starting out at 1000 fps?

My .22 rifle, zeroed for fifty yards, needs about 8 moa up on the scope to be zero at 100 yards when shooting standard velocity target ammo 1080 fps. This is real world, not theoretical.

I plugged the BC for a .319 rb (.045) into my bookmarked online ballistic calculator and entered a muzzle velocity of 1000 fps and it indicated 10 inches of drop if zeroed at fifty yards. Also, 3.7 inches of drift in a five mph cross wind.
Residual velocity at 100 yards will be around 780 fps.
There's a much higher velocity retention with distance once you are subsonic which is why roundballs shot from pistols have a surprisingly low wind drift compared to rifles.

0.319 ball / 1,000fps muzzle / with a sight 3/4" above centerline / center hold:

25yd zero = 18" low at 100
50yd zero = 14" low at 100
75yd zero = 08" low at 100

PAHOO... that looks to be the sight that I currently have on the rear ( well... that I've pulled off now )... the detent ball has been lost so I line it up & tighten good... I don't like that the aperture tightness holds the windage adjustment... so adjusting is not precise... also if I wanted to change sizes, I lose my adjustment...

I only have a blade front sight... the set up worked good enough for me to get 2nd place... I may have to get the detent ball fixed, & save the sight... but thinking more along the lines of the Lyman rear sight & something similar to the same front as you are using, in the correct height for the shorter Lyman sight...

Match the front globe, to the rear sight ...

Magnum,
This original set-up was offered by TC, a few years back. I know for a fact, that the front globe is made by Lyman and it's still available, along with the inserts. You can also buy the set of inserts. I doubt that TC ever made and original sight and just contracted them in. Given that, I do not know who actually made the vernier short range tang sight. Depending on the rear sight, you need to size the front globe accordingly. Lyman can assist you on this selection as they have a chart. ..... :)

the detent ball has been lost so I line it up & tighten good...
Until you mentioned the detent ball, did not know that one existed and like you, just line it up and tighten the knob. I will now have to correct this and I thank you for that ...... :)

Thanks again and;
Be Safe !!!

Back