Age and value of S&W 66-1?

Not to bust your chops (well, maybe just a little) but this thread is from 2010 and some of the folk, like the one right before your post, haven't been back since then...but some are still around so take my comment with a grain of salt.

Now to completely bust your chops (only in humor though) look at all the people that have weighed in since I revived it. :) I didn't take offense at your reply though. :)

I got a 66-3 but I would not trade for a current version. The wood factory grips are long gone. I should have kept them, seeing the prices now for those. But I prefer something better for actual magnum shooting. Anyone care to speculate why the common factory grips have gone up 5 times their usual price at gunshow tables some years ago? Not gonna see me coughing up 100$ for a pair of used magnas.

Smith & Wesson factory grips have gone up because a lot of us just threw them away "back in the day." Gun stores had boxes full of them taken off when the new owner put some kind of aftermarket grips on their new gun. Some would toss the boxes and papers at the same time. They were just old wood grips and cardboard boxes. Now people want to restore those guns to as close to original as they can, hence the demand is up.

Look on E-bay. You should be able to find K-frame grips under $100. Magna's will be less, targets more.

I bought my 66-1 several years ago with factory target stocks and remember a time when those grips were practically worthless. How that has changed! In the pic I had installed a pair of Hogue grips for while. Have not fired the 66-1 much but has shown decent accuracy potential.

Later picked up a 66-5 also a 4" - that one is a really accurate shooter. I hope to once again find an older pre-lock 66 with a 2.5" barrel but those really command a premium these days!

Attachments

• Smith 66-1.jpg
    Smith 66-1.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 152
Back