affordable black powder shotgun?

I wondered how the Howdah Hunter would work, as well as reaming a Lyman Plains Pistol to 28 ga, though with that I'd likely also have it threaded for a choke.

I bought one made in India that had on the barrel marked "maximum load 90grs FFg and 1 1/4oz shot". It shoots well enough. It was ~100 bucks. I wasn't going to pay $400 for a Pedersoli that I would only shoot occasionally. It was in very good shape bore wise.

Ok, what brand would be best then.

Brand of antique? If that's what you mean, it won't make much difference. Best bargains would probably be guns with Belgium proof marks, or "made in Belgium" on the barrels somewhere. Lots of those barrels were imported by shotgun makers. As others said though, you'd be better off waiting for a quality gun.

I like the antique Belgian shotguns. The barrels are brazed together instead of soldered. I have an old Parker that a guy had hanging on his porch and when I took the barrels out of the stock they just fell apart.

I settled for a mule earred CVA front stuffer. They put the money into the barrels. The locks are mighty cheesy. Hell, they didn't even spring for a buttplate. Still, it's muzzleloader shotgun sxs, if you need to act the part or play the role.

Last edited:
I like the antique Belgian shotguns.

Me too! They put lots of game on the table. I still have that 410 double that needed the TLC of a smithy. Light loads are squirrel gitters with that one.

Unless you are set on an authentic style percussion double, you can also make your own with an old or new break barrel SxS and use a couple black powder chamber adapters like these: http://www.gunadapters.com/209-muzzle-loading-adapters/, but you'll need to keep the barrels about 19" instead of 14" and make sure overall length with stock meets minimums. That way, when you get tired of stuffing the muzzle, you can start loading black powder brass hulls. That's a whole 'nuther level of fun.

You would still have to break it open to change the primers. Might as well stick a ready made shell in there. I don't see the point.

Point is you might just take the wrong kind of shells, or not enough of a particular load for the shooting you end up doing. More ability to experiment on the spot. In this case, the cost is less prohibitive, and you aren't chopping up a relic. Just an old Savage/Stevens or something made by the gozillions.

Point is you might just take the wrong kind of shells, or not enough of a particular load for the shooting you end up doing. More ability to experiment on the spot. In this case, the cost is less prohibitive, and you aren't chopping up a relic. Just an old Savage/Stevens or something made by the gozillions.

That makes sense. Point made.:cool:

I have one of the 209 chamber adapters from gun adapters.com. it's a well made product. I use it to front stuff my old H&R Topper. It's fun to play with and patterns well with a load of copperhead BB'S. So yeah you could snap up an old Stevens SxS and throw a couple adapters in it and there's your cheap front stuffin two barreled one two gauge.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back