affordable black powder shotgun?

sixgunnin

After getting into cap&ball revolvers I have been looking for a affordable black powder shotgun, and about the only thing I can find are the Davide Pedersoli ones and they are not very affordable. I really like there Baker Cavalry Shotgun but it's way out of my price range.

I am looking for a short double barrel percussion shotgun. Does anyone know of any that are in the $250 to $300 range?

Nope. You might find an original that's in decent shape for that but they have damascus barrels and there will be about 100 people on here tell you they're too dangerous to shoot. I shoot them but I don't recommend anyone else do it. The only other alternative is a rabbit ear breech loader loaded with bp shells but most of them are damascus also and have short chambers. I have an original 1850ish Ancion and a Pedersoli. The Pedersoli is almost the same weight and balance and handles very much like the Ancion.

An 1850s original for $300. I would be very interested in something like that. Where could I find one? One that is badly worn is totally fine, I probably would not shoot one like that very much and when I did I would use very light loads.

Last edited:
You might find one of the CVA doubles for $300 or more, check your pawn shops.

I recommend you exercise some patience and save up the $500-700 and buy a used Pedersoli. They're awesome!

Last edited:
12a BP

I had drop in breech plugs made for my sxs antique shotguns and shoot them as front stuffers w/black powder

An 1850s original for $300. I would be very interested in something like that. Where could I find one? One that is badly worn is totally fine, I probably would not shoot one like that very much and when I did I would use very light loads.

They show up on some of the auction sites now and then. They don't have much collector value.

Old percussion doubles are fun. The cheaper ones are usually not in a shootable condition, but you could luck out. Have a smithy check it out. Even though you plan to load it light, it's still risky.

I'm in the same boat. At the moment I can't afford the shotguns I see available. For now a .50 cal Lyman barrel reamed to .550" will have to do. Nice thing is the gun will be versatile like a T/C Contender.

I really want it jug choked but nobody seems to do it on a 28 ga so I may cheat and have it threaded for chokes.

I'd personally keep an eye out for an antique in shootable shape. There are lots of 'em out there. Unfortunately, there are a lot of 'em that are pitted badly, have nipples that are squashed or rusted out (and modern replacements won't fit), have sear notches that won't safely hold the hammers, or have cracked tumblers from being dropped on the hammer. Of those, freshing up the sear notch is probably the easiest to fix.

You really have to inspect them in person, which is a shame because so many on Gun Broker can be shipped right to your door. If you go that route, be sure the seller offers a good return policy, and assume you'll be out the cost of shipping until you find a good one.

I bought a Damascus barreled L C Smith years ago for cheap; I don't even remember now but I think it was less than $200. I load black powder in the all-brass Magtech hulls for it. It still locks up like a bank vault, and still swings and balances wonderfully. And makes satisfying smoke clouds. :)

If you get a used damascus barrel shotgun, take the barrels to an autoshop to have it magnafluxed for defects. If they're OK, then keep to whatever the Lyman Blackpowder Handbook recommends for powder charges.

14 inch barrels are good for blasting Coke cans or milk jugs at 10 feet or so but pretty useless for anything further than 25 feet. For me that would get old real fast.

I don't think you'll find what you are looking for in the used/antique market. If you want 14" barrels, then you'll have to chop it.

sxs

I have several antique sxs's both percussion and shot shell models that I found on sites like gunbroker and if you ask enough questions about condition and get true answers you can find some good condition sxs's reasonable.As I've said in another post I had some drop in breech plugs made and shoot them as front stuffers and don't have to worry about the hassle of reload BP shells

Back