Advice Please??

Well, I was responding to someone who seemed to think the new "Creedmoor" things were superior to the old faithful ones like the .30-06, .270 and .308, etc.

I disagreed.

The .270 is still as good as anything we've come up with.

MattMPhoto said:
I have no doubt that 308 is an excellent choice for a lot of people. However every single 308 my family has ever owned has been plagued by various issues and problems so that’s a caliber that I was going to stay away from.

I've had the exact opposite experience with the .308. Easy to load for, with tons of data. Factory ammunition for the most part is accurate. It's one round that has most of the wrinkles ironed out, IMO.

If you have issues with the .308 Win cartridge, it's going to be mainly be with the rifle. Bad torque on the action screws, stress points in the way it's bedded, or bad mounting of the optics.

As some others have stated, what you want isn't really a one cartridge choice.

LOL!

"Decent results?" "Decent accuracy?"

Seriously?

I've owned all of those except the magnums (which are unnecessary) plus owning the .270, .280, .257 Bob, .243 and 7mm/08 and they all did a lot better than decent.....most gave superb accuracy and superb results.

I’m fine with your opinion and I agree with everything except there is no “Bob” in “Roberts”….look it up. I was just saying you can get good enough results in std calibers….it is still a bit of an unnecessary handicap. No issue with me, if you choose to go that way.

MattMPhoto, for what it’s worth, I’ll throw my 2 cents in. I’m in South-Central PA, about an hour south of Scranton and East of Harrisburg. I’m fortunate to have a membership in a hunting club where my whitetail hut observes a field out to 350 yards. Nevertheless, my shots have been 90 to 250 yards. I’ve hunted Elk out west, hogs and deer in the south, but mostly deer in PA.

I’ve used .270 Win successfully at least 50% of the time with 140gr SST and Hornady 150gr spires. I’ve also used .25-06, .300 WSM, .300 Win Mag, .270 WSM, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm STW, .338 Win Mag, and 6.5 Creedmoor. I harvested a nice 8-pointer on the run at 90 yards with the 6.5CM, and it does work nicely on targets out to 1000 yards, as I hit a 12-oz paint spray can, dead-center, at that distance.

I had a “failure” on an elk at 300 yards with a 7mm Rem Mag using a 175gr Spire. The elk went down but when the guide and I approached to process and cart it out, it got up and continued to rise and fall downhill. The guide made the final kill with a handgun since I was advised to leave my rifle in the truck. The bullet broke the shoulder but didn’t penetrate enough to provide lethality. My next trip was with a .388 Win Mag and a 215gr spire at 200 yards did the trick with one shot.

If I were to pick my favorite for PA, it would have to be the .270 with 150gr spire. But that’s like my best trout fly is the one that I use most often.

stagpanther:
Quote:
"For starters, the best modern cartridges have a lot of head height. That’s the distance from the case mouth to the end of the magazine."

Actually, it's not strictly correct (putting a 6mm BR cartridge into a 338 LM magazine probably is not going to make it shoot better);

yeah that would be a lot of unnecessary bolt travel wouldn't it... and also induce more "room for error".

but that is one thing i like about the 308 neck downs, it makes more "head height" seeing that they generally use the standard 308 mags and bolts. dont get me wrong i have nothing against the 308, i just like it necked down better.

I had a “failure” on an elk at 300 yards with a 7mm Rem Mag using a 175gr Spire. The elk went down but when the guide and I approached to process and cart it out, it got up and continued to rise and fall downhill. The guide made the final kill with a handgun since I was advised to leave my rifle in the truck. The bullet broke the shoulder but didn’t penetrate enough to provide lethality.
I wouldn't regard that as a failure.

Not a surprise when a shoulder is hit. Depending on a LOT of variables.......that class of rifle may not work for a shoulder shot.

Behind the shoulder would have been a killing shot.

Well the OP has received a lot of good information but I'll have to jump in. Someone said "bullet heads" might be a British term. I concur but I don't remember exactly where I saw it. Usually I saw it stated as 'heads" when they meant bullets.

I can't remember how many deer I've taken with a 30-06 but it was a bunch. I used it on one elk as my back up rifle when the scope on my .35 Whelen went toes up.
Probably 25 or so deer with the .308 over quite a few years starting around 1973. That's also the year I got my first .270 Experience with the .270 is long but quite thin usually going to either the .308 or 30-06. Last game I shot with the .270 was an antelope in New Mexico back in 2009. Rifle was a Winchester M70 XTR with 24" barrel. Load was the 150 gr. Sierra Game King over a stiff load of the now long gone WMR powder. Made a nice relatively easy stalk and took the shot at 75 yards as lasered by my guide. Bullet hit in the short ribs and exited between the neck and shoulder. Kind of surprised as the was very little meat damage. Personally, I do not much care for the 130 gr. bullets. I first used them when I got my first .270 and wasn't happy with the meat damage so went to the 150 gr. Sierra Game King which worked well for me. Besides the antelope I guess I've taken maybe six deer with the .270.
I do have a hunting partner who loves the .270 and he's used it on several elk hunts with me. One elk was so close, about 25 yards tops and the longest I've sen him do is something over 400 yards. His favorite bullet is the Sierra 150 gr. GameKing. It has never failed him.
Paul B.

Trying to find one rifle/cartridge combo that’s going to be comfortable learning to shoot on and also strong enough to kill elk at 400 yards is going to be very challenging. Just buy a 6.5CM or 7mm08 now and learn how to shoot well. Then buy something bigger if you ever actually have the need for it.

Back