Advice on Trading/Selling Guns

LOL! 20 posts so far and nada from Cheapshooter ;).

Poor guy is probably so upset his hands are shaking too bad to type :D :D

Anyhow - I never sold or traded anything that I later regretted (see my post above).

HOWEVER - I have passed on too many guns - either in favor of something else or because I was just stupid...

The pair of 4" Colt Pythons - for ~ $1200 for the pair - comes to mind...

AND - in keeping with what I mentioned earlier....I passed on buying a Rossi 12 ga Coach Gun for $89 - back in the mid 1970's in favor of a Ted Williams (Winchester) M94 .30/30.
Years down the road - after searching for a Rossi - I ran across one for $330.

Last edited by a moderator:
wmg1299 said:
I would like to know how many of you guys who have traded or sold guns later wound up regretting it.
I am not a collector, just a guy with a few guns. I have sold a few guns over the years and, with a couple of exceptions, I have later regretted almost every sale.

On the opposite end, how many of you guys look back and regret not making trades/sales in the past?
Never.

I don't consider myself a "collector", but with age and success (Thank you, Lord) I've been able to get a few guns I have long been interested in. I have only made one sale I really regret, back when I was young and stupid. I have learned, as someone else mentioned, not to buy junk. I also have no problem buying a clean used gun. I don't live under either philosophy that all old guns are gold, and all new guns are junk. I do appreciate the classic wood and metal guns more than the plastic and more plastic ones.

Not stupid; just not paying attention

HOWEVER - I have passed on too many guns - either in favor of something else or because I was just stupid...
The pair of 4" Colt Pythons - for ~ $1200 for the pair - comes to mind..
Oh yes and I can remember a pair of Colt Diamondbacks for $600 !!??? :eek:

Be Safe !!!

Quote:
The pair of 4" Colt Pythons - for ~ $1200 for the pair - comes to mind..
Oh yes and I can remember a pair of Colt Diamondbacks for $600 !!???

I remember passing on getting some Steyr AUGs when they were $450/ea and with the LH bolt conversion as well...........
While I do own some HK P7s, I passed on them early on when they were going for real cheap as the high capacity poly guns were exploding on the scene
Same for some S&Ws 547 9mm revolvers in 3 and 4 inch versions.

Hindsight is ALWAYS 20-20!

Hindsight is ALWAYS 20-20!

Yep. I still kick myself that I didn't jump on the Swiss K11, K31 and GP11 bandwagon when you could get those rifles and ammo for very short money. Now GP11 is unobtainium and Swiss rifles have quadrupled in price.

To the OP, I don't sell guns as a rule. I always trade to what I consider a better firearm. Have there been guns I've missed, yeah a few, but overall I'm more happy with what I traded for.

Best trade I ever did was swapping a DE in 375 mag I had for a Springfield M1 Garand and a Springfield 1903A3. I'll take that trade all day every day.

I've sold 2 guns in my life. An HBAR because the tacticool thing started happening (tacticool wasn't coined yet) and I couldn't afford a new AR. So I sold that HBAR for $800 and bought a DPMS. A blue label complete with papers and the box.

Also sold a 686 6" because the cylinder didn't lock up when I went to take a shot at a deer. I got mad and sold it at a gun show for $300 (decent price at the time). It had the target grips.

This year I've replaced them both. I missed them both and always regretted selling them. Very happy to get them replaced despite the cost.

I only own a few polymer guns and the only one I have any sentimental value to is a G22 I carried as LE. I have a Mod 2 .45 that fits me well and I can run the qualification course with perfect scores with that easiest. But its not special to me. What I do have I bought from a reason. What was given to me I'd never sell. What you sell now may become next years collectible. (HBAR/686)

I was taught there are two things you never sell. A gun and a good dog.

Sometimes you get identical guns like I did years ago when I acquired two Polish M44 M-N for dirt cheap prices. One gun had matching numbers (except for the bolt) and the other didn't. That one I sold for a nice profit. I still have the other Polish plus a Hungarian and two ChiComs.

Back