Advice on how to shoot sub MOA

1. 3 shots in not a test, 5 is the minimum and 10 really tells the story.
(note: I usually shoot 5 shot groups and I get a kick out of a sub 1/2 MOA group, I know I am not in Mississippi league - so I know I am fooling myself, but as long as I know that, and I always put down, if I am ON, I can shoot X)

Oh, I don't think that I'm a cut above anyone, my education, plus generally inquisitive nature has helped me with consistency. But, I'm only as meticulous as necessary. Or I suppose I should say realistic. I know for instance that my AK isn't an MOA gun, never will be. It's a 2.5-3 MOA gun at best (I know because I tried on a few occasions to see what it would do with higher quality match loads) So, I use mixed commercial brass, 147 gr bulk bullets, only trim when out of spec because it shoots about the same either way.

This isn't a reloading thread, but the biggest thing that has helped me is the brass prep equipment upgrades both for speed and consistency........ that and a boat load of trigger time

Agreed in spades.

Solid equipment has to be the basis otherwise you can chase your tail endlessly with the what iffs.

With 6.5 and 308 you can get some good match load ammo now, so reloading is not a have to.

Still have to see if there is match grade 30-06! (just checked, something around $1.50+ a round).

Far to expensive for the number of rounds you have to shoot to get even moderately proficient and I call that under 3/4 MOA.

Under 5/8 was the goal and I can do that pretty often these days, some days not at all.

How I was taught to shoot and started shooting custom rifles into below 1/2 MOA groups for test firing:

Using good quality ammunition and making sure your rifle is torqued to spec (action screws and scope screws). Set up on a good, solid bench. A bipod and a rear bag works, but the best set up is good quality sand bags on both the front and the rear of the rifle. Nest the rifle firmly into the sand bags until they are compressed and the rifle does not move.

Bring your support hand to the rear bag under the stock of the rifle. Without touching the rifle, squeeze the rear bag. You can manipulate the rear bag to adjust the rifle's point of aim without touching the rifle by compressing it to lower the point of aim etc. Bring the stock of the rifle firmly into your firing hand shoulder and use your support hand to provide rearward pressure on the bag and hold it in place. Your firing hand should rest very lightly on the grip of the rifle (easier if it has a pistol grip shaped stock). You're basically just looking for finger tip pressure with barely any pressure at all except to steady your trigger finger. Rest the pad of your trigger finger on the trigger. Center your crosshairs, release your breath and pause after the exhale. When your crosshairs are in place, compress only your trigger finger in a clean break.

It's similar in a lot of ways to a "free recoil" technique.

We proved good groups with factory ammo, particularly Federal Gold Medal match and Prime ammo. No reloading

This has been a most excellent and educational thread. I too am just starting some longer range target shooting and can't wait to get o the range and try some of these techniques. Hoping for good weather and an open range at Quantico next weekend.

There are no less than 4 variables into shooting groups. Rifle, load, shooter, environment. I am not a world class shooter, nor do I spend an exhaustive time prepping, weighing, sorting and loading. I find the balance in speed and accuracy when loading. If I believe I have a 1/2 moa rifle or whatever its not from a single 5 shot group, its an average of at least 20 5 shot groups. Why not 1 or 2 10 shot groups? Cuz I'm impatient and I cant focus for 10 consecutive shots :-) and there is wind or other variables. That doesn't mean the rifle is not capable of it, I'm more than likely the weak link in that chain, or perhaps my reloading. But if I were to guess, it would be me. Breathing, jerking, or something else.

If that calls into question my groups so be it. But if I say my rifle is x moa, I am confident on any given day I can put the next 5 shots into that size grouping.

Back