Advice on home gun

My FNX works fine in the dark without an RMR sight. The nights sights are very bright and if they began to get dim recharge them by shining a flashlight to the sights just before going to bed or replace them. RMR sights are expensive for just an "in case" scenario that hopefully will never happen. Get the gun first and than save money for a few months and by the rmr sight. In the meantime the nights sights are excellent by themselves.

I don't know about this particular product but if it works well, the PX4 wouldn't be a bad choice. I'm another DA/SA guy and I have experience with several choices in this style. The FNX series is good but the PX4 just seems like a nicer pistol overall. The fit and finish are excellent. The trigger is decent right out of the box. The ergonomics in general are good. The rotating barrel system handles recoil like a charm, making it a breeze in 9mm and probably the softest-shooting polymer-framed option in .40 S&W. My only complaint is those bat-wing safeties but Beretta makes a kit to replace them with flush-fitting decocking levers.

The barrel isn't threaded but since Cowtownlion said the interest was aesthetic, I wonder if the PX4's unique look is attractive enough?

If you like the FNX 45 Tactical then that would be a good choice. You can add any accessories you might want over time. You might decide down the road that you want a suppressor and you will have a very good host.

a0f0533df7cad5e8ae4e7e172770c26d.jpg

I won't give any advice on what pistol meets your desires, but I will give you something to consider.

If you ever do have to use that pistol for personal defense, you are going to lose it, for a period of time. It will be evidence, taken and kept by the police who care nothing for the treatment of the gun, only its chain of custody.

You won't get it back, until ALL legal proceedings are completed, and you are found to have been entirely in the right. This might be days, or weeks, or months, but COULD be years under certain circumstances.

For me, it makes better sense to use a less than top of the line high dollar combat piece, I prefer a simpler cheaper to replace gun, so long as it uses an adequate caliber and is proven dependable.

Your gun, your wallet, your choice...

44 AMP, I tell that to a lot of my friends who have and carry expensive pistols. I'd rather have my $260 LC9 taken than my $1K Hi Power. The EC9s and Shields are affordable and dependable weapons that are cheap enough to repleace in the event of a legal confiscation. "Here's the cheap Mossberg 500 I used to defend my home officer..." meanwhile my custom rifles are safe and sound.

My view is this: if you're convinced that the expensive firearm in question will provide you an edge in surviving, why not carry it? While I don't necessarily agree with this saying, how much is your life worth? If my $1000 pistol gets confiscated but I survive as a result, then that's the best $1000 I ever spent. I say this as someone that currently carries a Glock, but carried more expensive pistols in the past. That I might lose the pistol after the shooting is far, far down on my list of concerns.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

That I might lose the pistol after the shooting is far, far down on my list of concerns.

Agree; 100% reliability with the ammo selected for the purpose is first and foremost, IMO.

That I might lose the pistol after the shooting is far, far down on my list of concerns.

I never meant to imply it should be at the top of your list, only that it is something to consider, if it should be on your list, and where...

I never meant to imply it should be at the top of your list, only that it is something to consider, if it should be on your list, and where...
I didn't think you meant it should be on the top. Just sharing my view.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

P 07 is a wonderful weapon. On my night stand with two 17 round mags. Threaded barrel available but not on mine. Changed out the sites for some Trijicon sites. Very accurate and fits like a glove. All for under $600.00.

Cowtownlion,

You may want to check out the Bersa line of pistols. DA/SA, famous for reliability and reasonable price. Do let us know what you think.

Hi again all! I wanted to thank everyone for their feedback. In the end, I paid the extra money and got exactly what I wanted.... FNX-45 Tactical FDE. I have added the vortex Venom and have ordered a streamlight TOR-1 HL. While I’m still recovering financially, I figured if there’s only one pistol that has all the features I want then I shouldn’t cut corners. For anyone interested, it’s an amazing omg weapon. I’m far from a marksman, and in fact most of my pistol range targets look like they were hit with a buckshot. I can honestly say this pistol is the first time I’ve ever been able to group my shots in the same zip code. Thanks again, ya’ll.

"Single/double action (decocker)
Threaded barrel (no, I won’t have a suppressor but I like the look)
Caliber doesn’t matter, dead is dead
Preferably a mag capacity of 14+ "

Beretta 92. M9A3 has threaded barrel.
meets all the criteria above.
and WAAAAAY under $1700.

I have the M9A1.
awesome handgun. same as A3, but no threaded barrel and is black.
got it for under $700 new.

Might nightstand guns are:

FNX-45 Tactical FDE TB with a Vortex red dot and X300U also FDE. Along with 15+1 Federal HST 230GR

Or

MK25 (P226) TB with night sights and X300U. Along with 20+1 of Federal HST 124GR +P.

Special guest star is my custom AR. Eotech, Surefire light, etc etc etc. Seen one seen all.

Last edited:
Back