Advice on home gun

Cowtownlion

Inactive
Hi all. Hoping to get some suggestions. I’m looking for a specific set of parameters for my home (nightstand) pistol. The one gun that meets all the requirements is the FNX-46 Tactical, however, the price after the RMR sight is a tough pill to swallow ($1,700). I had a chance to check out the 509 tactical, however, I really want SA/DA option. Can you guys help me choose a pistol that has:

RMR Mounts
Single/double action (decocker)
Threaded barrel (no, I won’t have a suppressor but I like the look)
Caliber doesn’t matter, dead is dead
Preferably a mag capacity of 14+

Any pistols you guys would recommend would be so appreciated.

A lot of current production pistols with the rmr cut slides are striker fired unfortunately. I believe Sig makes the 226/227 with a RMR slide, but other than the fn 45, nothing else comes to mind.

You might consider that there are many places that will mill your slide for you, so you don't have to choose an out of the box gun with the slide already milled.

Thanks for all the replies thus far everyone. 2 responses: I do have a shotgun at home as well, but I keep it in the closet and would like a nightstand gun. In regard to getting RMR sights cut out, I asked 2 gun shops and both said it could compromise the strength of the slide. It makes sense to me, but then again I’m not an expert. Is that just “monsters under the bed” talk, or is that a legitimate concern?

...I asked 2 gun shops and both said it could compromise the strength of the slide.
This is code for" "We can't do that here." whether they mean it to be or not.

It does weaken the slide, but not in a way that is of any practical concern.

You just need to find a company that knows what they are doing. The best way is to get a couple of recommends for a company that has done the modification successfully for the gun you're interested in having cut.

For carry all day everywhere a handgun is what is needed.

For HOME defense, get a shotgun or a rifle.
Agree..easy to hit someone, proper round won't go thru a wall, makes a lot of noise. Ooops, see above, you already have a shotgun..in the 'RTFP' category.

I have a night stand G19 with a light on it..

First off, I'd recommend a long gun for home defense over a handgun.

Second and more importantly to the topic, I have an FNX-45 Tactical in FDE with an optic and all that jazz on my nightstand. Sporting an FDE Surefire X300U-A. Yes, it is great and I do recommend one. But that price is something most people are deterred by.

HK USP 9, Expert, or Compact can be had with a threaded barrel.

I also have an MK25 with a threaded barrel and X300U-A. The P229 is good to go as well.

DA/SA is my favorite platform with striker-fired right behind it.

Check those out!

gotta say this not sure how much shooting you wanna do but I now keep the 300 dollar security9 bedside more then accurate shoots everything you put in it, not a single malfunction yet

Your nightstand gun should have open sights and a high cap mag. I prefer a flash light also. The less stuff you have to find the better off you'll be. I just bought a Glock 45 9mm with a 17+1 capacity to replace my Kimber Custom II .45 ACP with the RMR and laser grip sight. It would do the job but target acquisition was slow with the RMR. I also have a semi auto shotgun nearby.

I have had an FNX 45 and FNX 40 and FNS 40 (my first striker pistol).

They each have approx. 2500 rds with out a failure.

The 45 is my bedside gun and he 40s are used in other areas on my property/vehicles. I have a 9mm and a 357 Sig barrel for the 40s and the magazines. All are more accurate than I and I totally enjoy shooting them.

I do trust them!

A home defense pistol should be reliable and easy to use in the dark. Just pick it up and squeeze the trigger, no safeties, nor cocking. My house has a pair of .357 Mag revolvers lying around, one upstairs, the other down stairs.

To address the long gun aspect, simply place it between your bed and nightstand so it remains fairly upright securely, yet is easy to get to. I leave mine with the hammer down on an empty chamber so it is a matter of rack and go

Home Gun

My home gun is a Glock 21 with a Crimson Trace light and laser in a bedside holster. The light is set on strobe to disorient the intruder the laser is for my 63 year old eyes. 13+1 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense 45 acp.
All the best,
Bill

Back