Advice on a new lever 30-30

I'm a Marlin guy, so that's where I would go. Most any Marlin, pre '95 or so, should be a decent rifle (you can tell by the first 2 digits of the SN...) and certainly some up to the Remington takeover (2008'ish) but I would really look at them. I understand Remington has worked out some kinks in the newer rifles, but for my money... I'll find an older one. There is no reason why you can't find a decent 336 for a reasonable price. If it's a hunter, then it doesn't have to be pristine. I just sold a little used 336 from '73 for $400 (to a friend... ) but I've seen them at recent gunshows in the $400-500 range. Pawnshops are another big 336 gold mine... if you have the time and can stand wading through all of them.

I just can't warm up to the Henry, the tube mag is a definite turnoff, but just the profile in general doesn't really make me want to go get one... and that's even with them making one in .41 MAG. I've never shot one, so you never know... maybe they are the greatest thing since sliced cheese.

In my opinion the Marlins made in the 1970's up until the CBS came into use are the pick of the litter. The ones with CBS made through the 80's are good too, I just prefer not to have the safety on there. Any of these are way better than anything made in the last 20 years. And not that hard to find on the used market.

Marlin has tweaked the stock design numerous times over the years. They got it right with the 70's and 80's stocks. Current stocks, and many older stocks are too chunky and thick.

Post 1963 Winchesters are spotty. Some are as good as anything else, others shoddily made. The 1980's and early 90's Winchester 94's are probably the best bet for the newer rifles. Once again, they are there, you just need to know the SN range for those years before buying.

I too would look at finding a good used 336JM Marlin or Win 94. The pre 64 Win is a nicer gun and collectable but for shooting purposes a post 64 will do you as well. Opposite with
Marlin, if it's not JM the Remlins have hi percentage of problems. The 336 action is stronger than a 94. Which means nothing in a 30/30. The Marlin is a little heavier than a Win 94. They both are good rifles and have been around for a long time. I would buy either one before Henry or import. Good used 30/30s can be had for $400 range in very nice shape. Either of these rifles will also hold their value which is more than can be said of others.

I recently bought a Henry color case hardened 30-30 (90 rounds through it so far), and am super happy with it. Very smooth action and liking the tube loading of shells.

As a counter to that, I also own a recently made Marlin 1895 (45-70) and a 2006 manufactured Marlin 1894C (.357) and am perfectly happy with both of them too. Obviously, they are side gate loaded. I certainly don't think one of these brands is head and shoulders above the other, but I'm currently really liking the Henry.

Aside from these two brands, there really aren't any truly crappy 30-30's being made these days. I would say it comes down to price, looks, features that might determine what turns you on.

Older Marlin, or a Henry. I've got a 3 'older' Marlins ('59, '87, '02) in .22lr, .30-30 & .45-70 & love them all & my .41Mag Henry carbine in right in there with them.

I've also shot a bud's Henry .45-70 & it compared very favorably beside my Guide Gun. The fit & finish on 'em is nice, slick action, decent trigger & pretty wood. Tube-feed vs side feed bothers some folks, but I don't have a preference either way. Definitely check one out if you get a chance.

There are so many great options on lever-action 30-30's if you don't limit yourself to a new one. For a carbine, I like the Winchester model 94's made between 1937 and 1948; for rifles, the model 55 appeals most to me. And then there are some particularly nice Marlins like the 1893 and 336T. Just get one that you can live with for now, while you keep looking for the one that you find particularly appealing.

Since we are talking .30-30... The friend I sold my 336 to (as noted above) went and shot it today. He called me a bit ago... to complain about the recoil! I had given him a box of medium velocity (2000fps) cast bullet loads...

I have the Henry 30-30 brass, absolutely love the rifle. Very nice craftsmanship for a new priduction gun. Only downfall for some is the tube only type feed. You can single load a Henry through the ejection port but its a very tight opening.

Most of my lever guns are Marlins, the oldest turned 125 this month. The lone non-Marlin is a gun no one has mentioned yet: the Savage 99. Mine is in 38-55 like my oldest Marlin. A fun cartridge to shoot if you reload.

Most of my lever guns are Marlins, the oldest turned 125 this month. The lone non-Marlin is a gun no one has mentioned yet: the Savage 99. Mine is in 38-55 like my oldest Marlin. A fun cartridge to shoot if you reload.
Also a good rifle.
I think it wasn't brought up because the OP stated that he wanted to buy new. ...And the 99 went out of production 20+ years ago.

I've got a good friend that bought a new M336 (two years ago now) that had the scope package, and he really likes it a lot. Bagged his whitetails both years since he's gotten it, and nothing but good remarks about it; he's a re-loader, too. I wouldn't be afraid to get a new one, as long as you KNOW it's a newly mfg'd one from these days.

Also, don't be afraid to get on gunbroker and hunt a nice vintage, pre-safety, M336; lots available. I bought two through gunbroker a couple of years ago (one '64 vin, the other a '53 vin.) and they're both fine rifles/shooters, and I got them both for well under 500 bucks. Check G.B. and ask questions if there's one on there you might be interested in (FWIW/IMO).

On gunbroker, I'd probably consider something like this if I was on a bid quest, but that's just me. Nothing more than a suggestion as to how things go on g.b.

www.gunbroker.com/item/798824567

Lots of this sort of thing going on all the time on g.b. (FWIW). Love my 30-30, 336s.

Sorry for all the posts here, but couldn't help it; love the .30-30 too much. Been shooting mine the most lately of all my center-fire guns, and just reloaded 20 rounds up yesterday (though I really didn't need too...) to plink out in the prairie.

If I was to get JUST ONE MORE .30-30, it will (would) no doubt be one as this:

www.icollector.com/Marlin-Model-36-Lever-Action-Rifle_i25754162

My brother has one of these, and loves the thing. Why not? Only a couple of years ago this rifle from the website went for 300 bucks! Geeze!

@Juancts, I know you said you were looking for new at this point, but you might search for a Marlin 30AW. I bought mine at a pawn shop and was with the sling and box that it came in. It was several years ago and I paid $175.00 for it. It was like brand new.

I think these were just plain wood with stamped checkering, nothing fancy and were sold through Walmart. You might find a deal on one and sounds like you are going to be hunting with it and not collecting.

Mine looks just like this one.
19088829_1.jpg

Back