Advice on a new lever 30-30

Juancts

I’m looking to buy a new 30-30 lever rifle for open sights hog and predator hunting.
Everybody talks about the pre-74 Win 94s but I can’t find one in my area. So I decided to buy it brand new.

Appreciate your advice and recommendations on a brand new lever 30-30 gun.

Usually pre 64 that people talk about . In the early 70's the finish was poor and mine looks kind of brownish but it still shoots great.

Options I would consider Winchester 94, Marlin 336 or whatever the Henry is called. See how you like the options. I don't like the tube feed on the Henry but my mom has one and it's fine. The 336 are nice and easy if you want to mount a scope with the side eject. Not sure what the winchester is doing these days but top and side eject made it harder for scopes. But i'm sticking to my Winchesters.

Just go out and feel some.

Of the currently produced lever actions, the Mossberg 464 appears to be the most like the Winchester 94, it has top ejection and a loading gate. It's available with pistol grip and straight grip stock designs.

The Henry steel 30-30 has a straight grip stock, and no loading gate - it has a loading port in the magazine tube much like a 22 rimfire.

The Marlin 336 is now manufactured in the Remington plant in Ilion NY, after some early quality problems it is reported that the latest rifles are well made. The Marlin is the oldest design, having been introduced in 1893. It has side ejection and a loading gate, and is available in various models with straight and pistol grip stocks.

My sentimental favorite is the Marlin, I have several Marlins made in New Haven. The Mossberg is probably the lowest cost option, followed by the Marlin and then the Henry. I don't have any personal experience with either the Mossberg or the Henry, so maybe someone will chime in on how well they work. Have fun with your selection - I don't think you can go far wrong any of them - and let us know what you pick and how it works for you. If you plan to change the sights to peep sights, you may want to see what's available for each model before you buy.

Henry and Mossberg get good reviews, but somehow I can't get past the way they look. I like the classic older marlins best, but a Winchester M94 in Rifle length also pleases my eye.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by Steve Zihn, on Flickr

I am also a sucker for the M1895 Winchester/Brownings

If I were to get a modern Lever action I would go to the Browning BLR. No 30-30 in that line, but you can get 260, 270, 7-08, 308, 30-06 and 338 Federal.

Since the older rifles last generations, usually, you might seriously look at a used Winchester or Marlin. Most of them have cosmetic wear on the outside and very little wear on the inside.

Stock fit matters, more than some think. Winchester 94s beat the snot out of me, make the .30-30 feel worse than a .308, because the stock doesn't fit me that well. (and older guns steel buttplates don't help any;))

I prefer the Marlin 336 to the Win 94. Its a little heavier, and the butt is bigger, and a better shaped fit for me. Personal preference.

I'm not a fan of the modern versions of these classic rifles, the new ones with safety buttons just put me off.

As far as I'm concerned, its a waste of money to buy a new one, unless new is important to you. If it is, then its money well spent.

"Stock fit matters, more than some think. Winchester 94s beat the snot out of me, make the .30-30 feel worse than a .308, because the stock doesn't fit me that well. (and older guns steel buttplates don't help any)"

You make a point. However, what years was the M94 that kicked so hard made? Case in point. I have two M94s, one made in 1911 the other about 1980/81. At some point Winchester changed the amount of drop on the M94. The lessened it as the kick was reduced, at least in my case. My Great-grandad's 1911 30-30 when snapped to the shoulder has the sights perfectly aligned but it does slap my cheek when I shoot it. The 80's gu however will not let the sights line up when brought to the shoulder. I solved that problem by putting a receiver sight on the gun.
If I were looking for a 30-30 today, I would hit the used gun scene and find a Winchester M64, Winchester's fancy M94 with pistol grip, half magazine, and superb balance. It might be pricey as they were discontinued in IIRC 1957. I have two, a 1938 gun and the other from 1957.
Paul B.

Cross block safety once gotten use too. Kind of reminds me of back in the day some drivers didn't think they had the coordination to learn how to clutch a 3-speed shift transmission. Most found out doing >wasn't as hard as they thought.

Miroku/Win rifles built today I believe meet or exceed what was made prior to 1964. The only difference? A few unpopular 94 cartridges were dropped for lack of interest. i.e. 32-40 Winchester_ 32 Winchester Special_ 7-30 Waters_ 307 Winchester_ 356 Winchester_ 375 Winchester_ 410 gauge_ 32-20_ 25-20.

One thing is certain Juancts. Unlike a bolt action "you won't get bored with a 94 pre or post model 30wcf."

Just a slight correction on one post: Mod 94 AE[Angle Eject], are easily scope mounted. No hassle or interference. I have one with Weaver bases and rings. Works. I believe it's an 1989 production.

I’m looking to buy a new 30-30 lever rifle for open sights hog and predator hunting.
Everybody talks about the pre-74 Win 94s but I can’t find one in my area. So I decided to buy it brand new.

Appreciate your advice and recommendations on a brand new lever 30-30 gun.
The current models are every bit as good if not better than the pre-64's. Good choice on the Win. I do have a pre-64/94 and it means the world to me because I shot my first buck with it in 1963. I can't believe that anyone would still pay the premium prices some are asking for pre-64 Winchesters. Browning fixed the problems several years ago.

I prefer the older Marlins over Winchesters. They fit me better and feel more stout. I haven't ever shot a Henry so I can't speak to them, although I prefer the loading gate magazines on the Marlin and Winchester.

I have an early-80s vintage JM stamped model. It does have the safety which I don't personally mind at all and it's a really slick little rifle. I don't use it much for hunting because it's pretty limited in range relative to my primary hunting rifles but it's a lot of fun to shoot.

Last edited:
Older Marlin 336 fan here. I would look for an older one with a JM stamp on the barrel. Some of the new Remlins (Remingtons) as they are called appear to have barrel clock position issues meaning the sights may not be at 12 o'clock as well as some other problems. I have also heard the barrel alignment issue is being corrected on newly delivered rifles.

Look closely should you buy a new one.

Cross block safety once gotten use too. Kind of reminds me of back in the day some drivers didn't think they had the coordination to learn how to clutch a 3-speed shift transmission. Most found out doing >wasn't as hard as they thought.

Miroku/Win rifles built today I believe meet or exceed what was made prior to 1964. The only difference? A few unpopular 94 cartridges were dropped for lack of interest. i.e. 32-40 Winchester_ 32 Winchester Special_ 7-30 Waters_ 307 Winchester_ 356 Winchester_ 375 Winchester_ 410 gauge_ 32-20_ 25-20.

One thing is certain Juancts. Unlike a bolt action "you won't get bored with a 94 pre or post model 30wcf."
The Current Winchester Model 94 is offered in .32 Winchester Special in both the Sporter and the Carbine model.

To the OP. My vote would be for the Winchester Model 94. Current or past production. With My preference being with the currently produced models. The fit and finish is superb. Also I feel like the Machining is better as well as the barrels.

"Stock fit matters, more than some think. Winchester 94s beat the snot out of me, make the .30-30 feel worse than a .308, because the stock doesn't fit me that well. (and older guns steel buttplates don't help any)"

I agree. I had both a 1959 Winchester and a 1962 Marlin and sold them off some 50yrs ago because the Winchester's action and trigger was so floppy and the Marlin felt like a brick while their recoil for the down range performance they produced was overly harsh.

However, I always thought you had to have a 'thurdy-thurdy' in your collection so in 2012, I considered one again. A friend at our range had a new Mossberg 464 and let me shoot it. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it felt, how well it was fitted, and how well it shot. In addition, the slight drop in comb difference and recoil pad made a ton of difference in felt recoil.

I bought a walnut stocked one with a pistol grip NIB and after some 500rds, I'm still very pleased with it. The Marbles sights and trigger are excellent and after cycling it during a couple of tv programs when it was new, it's a pleasure to own and one of just a few of my arms that I've not done any changes on. Even with my older eyes, I use it to shoot bowling pins at 200yds so the accuracy is definitely there too.

sYeW8wU.jpg

Older Marlin 336 fan here. I would look for an older one with a JM stamp on the barrel. Some of the new Remlins (Remingtons) as they are called appear to have barrel clock position issues meaning the sights may not be at 12 o'clock as well as some other problems. I have also heard the barrel alignment issue is being corrected on newly delivered rifles.

Look closely should you buy a new one.
That's good advice. The current 2018 production is on the new tooling at Remington and they are turning out some very nice rifles again. Watch out for new old stock that a lot of dealers still have from when Remington's tooling guru's were let out to pasture.

I have a Brand new Winchester 1892 Short in 44 Magnum. They are actually made better than the Post 1964 Winchesters. Love mine shoots to point of aim. But they are pricey, I paid $900 for mine.

I also have a Marlin 1894 CSBL ( Stainless Steel) Brand New, great rifle. Fit finish and action all good. Love that rifle also.

I'm a Marlin guy.
I don't like finicky, sloppy actions that hang their guts out every time you cycle the lever.

But if the Marlin 336 doesn't interest you, I think the Henrys are pretty decent, as well.

Its easy. Just buy one of everything and shoot them a bit. Then sell the ones you don't like. I bet you keep all of them. 30-30's are great guns.:D

I bought a new 336Y 30-30 Marlin a couple years ago. The Y stood for youth which means, a 16” barrel and shorter length of pull. I wanted the 16” barrel, but added a huge buttpad to compensate for the shortened LOP. Which made the gun crazy light in the recoil dept.

When I first took it apart, it was a nightmare. Wood and metal shavings everywhere. I cleaned it up and shot it a lot.

It’s my favorite rifle. It shoulders like a champ, points naturally, and is as smooth as butter. I can take it out to 150 reliablely.

It’s fun to shoot. Good luck!

Back