Advice on 2 die sets

What brand barrel do you have? 6.8 is the reason I got into reloading about eight years ago. I reload 6.8 barrels from ARP, PSA and LWRC (very limited). Might be able to give you some load information based on the brand of barrel you have, especially if it's a ARP barrel.

I own and use mostly RCBS dies and use their competition dies. I like these dies for two reasons. First, you can drop your bullet into the sleeve through a window and it'll like the bullet up. I tend to spin my casing 3x and seat in increments to ( as claimed ) reduce runout. Secondly, I've read articles like on Midway.com that says you can interchange the parts. So, you can covert your 7RemMag for example to a .308 by buying a few parts. I don't know how difficult this is because I have more than one competition die already. I haven't broken out the Forster Competition die sets out because I'm not far enough along on my test loads. This is a top end die that I read the US Army Sniper School uses. So, I figure, if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. This is not to say the RCBS dies is a slouch. In the book, Long-Range Precision Rifle by Anthony Cirincione depicts an RCBS Competition Die. I haven't used my Lee Dies too for the same reason as the Forster Dies. But, I did have a custom collet die made for my 7.7 Arisaka and it works fine. I have yet to compare loads resized with this die and my RCBS set.

and have purchased Lee and Forster dies to compare to them.

I do a light crimp on all of my AR loads. I know some some don't. But I prefer it from experience. The Lee Factory Crimp die doesn't seem to effect accuracy. I adjust maybe a 1/2 turn so very light.

I don't see where the Hornady sizer die is FL. FL resizing is required for a semi-auto.
RCBS' warrantee is on the kit, not who bought it. If you have any issues, even if you bought used, RCBS will fix it with a phone call or e-mail.

I understand the FL sizing is necessary from the reloading books I've read when it comes to ARs. Glad we put that to rest.

Ed308, they are Olympic Arms barrels. One day I may swap a couple to ARP based on things I've read here and the 6.8 Forums, but thus far I've been content with their accuracy based on what I'm using them for: putting kids on deer with shots at 100 yards or less. I've been using the Hornady 120 gr SST, but at over $1 a round, I'm hoping to be able to reload more to allow the kids to shoot more.

Back