Advice for those asking for advice

Snyper said:
While its good, is this thread gun related enough to stay open??
I always wonder why there's a "general discussion" section that doesn't allow "general discussions".
Um... because it's a gun forum. And because not all gun-related subjects fit nicely into one of the sub-forums: "Should I get a pistol or a rifle for my first gun?"

Et cetera.

Skans said:
How is this not gun related? We're generally discussing how best to direct someone new to guns in their quest for the "right" gun.
Yep. And don't think we're not watching. :D

And just to get things back on topic, here's a related bit of advice for those asking for advice. If you have a question about a specific type of gun or a specific issue (reloading, for example), post it in the appropriate sub-forum, not here in General Discussion. It'll get more responses, faster, and they might even be better ones.

I'm glad you brought this up, excellent discussion!

BTW: I'm looking at a S&W revolver. How much is it worth or how much should I pay for it?

Thanks,

ETA: I live in the USA. Hope that helps!

The Smith and Wesson revolver is worth $3,750, but I'm willing to sell you my Smith and Wesson revolver for $3,300. PM me and I'll tell you where to send your postal money order and your ffl for shipping.

Um... because it's a gun forum. And because not all gun-related subjects fit nicely into one of the sub-forums: "Should I get a pistol or a rifle for my first gun?
It just seems topics about the forum protocol should also be relevant.

How about some advice for experienced gun owners: go easy on the new guys asking questions.

there is no way for them to know the details of everything, especially the guy asking what to buy for his first gun. Thats why they are asking and forums have proven a great place to get information... and its safe to assume they might not be certain what sub-forum is most appropriate.

ask them the basic questions, gets the ball rolling and they learn from there. We need more new gun owners, and we need more gun owners to be more knowledgeable. Welcome them and everyone wins.

Excellent advice for us all, Koda94.

That's why, if I move a newbie's thread, I also send them a PM explaining why I moved it and welcoming them to TFL... :)

Snyper, the topic of this thread is "Advice for those asking for advice." There's an implicit "about guns" at the end of that, and everyone who has replied has respected that -- none of the responses pertains to people who might be asking for advice about their relationships, for example.

I hope this helps you see why this thread is in fact gun-related. I'd add that it's not really about "forum protocol" -- none of these suggestions is ever going to be mandatory for anyone who posts here.

And I hope we can get back on topic now, if anyone actually has any more advice for people with questions about guns. ;)

I hope this helps you see why this thread is in fact gun-related. I'd add that it's not really about "forum protocol" -- none of these suggestions is ever going to be mandatory for anyone who posts here.
I'm not the one who questioned if it were gun related.

Back