Adding weight to the stock of precision long-range rifle

Let me tell you what I did and what I wish I did

I have a Savage model 10 with accu-stock . I decided to fill the stock to add weight . Now I thought of this all on my own . I mixed up a large amount of bondo and added BB's to it to add extra weight . It worked great for the purpose .
guns179.jpg

I then bought a adjustable cheek piece to add to the stock . A simple install of just drilling through the stock . The fact it was pretty much solid now should even make it easier . Well it would have and did until the drill bit hit it's first BB . The drill lurched and jumped then hit the next one and jumped and lurched again and again until I was all the way through . So now I'm sitting there with one oblong hole in my stock a little more then 3/8" in diameter my 1/4" drill bit put in the stock . Needless to say I have two holes about the same size in my stock .

Now what I should have used and in fact did/do use in my NM AR
Plumbers putty

First I pushed a heavy duty ziplock freezer bag into the stock . Then added a little putty followed by a few lead fishing weights followed more putty , repeat till full or you have the weight you want . I deep sea fish so I have/had 4 and 5 ounce weights to use . The best things about this method is the putty never gets completely hard because it's pretty much sealed in the bag . You can remove all some or none at will and the putty holds everything in place . In fact you may want to try just plumbers putty first . It actually has a good amount of weight to it .

Last edited:
so, yesterday got some impact resistant loctite epoxy (their heavy duty "proffessional grade" stuff) and mixed it in w. steel nuts/bbs. before adding mixture, i screwed in several 2 inch screws into stock on the top and bottom to make sure everything is super stable after curing. while at it, also made a little hook to push rifle into shoulder w. supporting hand - had one side of it inside the stock/mixture (for additional stability) and the other side protruding on the bottom (she's aint pretty - buy is very functional :)). all in all, pretty happy w. results - but the ultimate test will be on the range nxt time.... thanks for all ur advice!

Attachments

• 160520_173533_COLLAGE-1.jpg
    160520_173533_COLLAGE-1.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I expect you will be much happier with a muzzle brake. I can't imagine shooting my .50 BMG without it and the recoil is significantly less harsh than a 7mm Weatherby and many 308's.
Lighter and more effective.

Lighter and more effective. Maybe. More expensive too. More muzzle blast. But whatever floats your boat. I have no argument with muzzle breaks, just pointing out the facts as I seez em.

Back