Adding Gas Checks ?

I received my orders. Put it together and tried to seat. Image #1 was with nose first, gas check over back-end of bullet, and pushed through the die. I think the gas checks went "inside-out". Not happy with that result.

So next, I tried gas check first, pushed through by the Flat-Point "round nose" which is quite flat. This got the better result in the next two photos. Lower bullet in #2 has the gas check seated, with the inside-out above it. Left bullet in #3 is gas check seated with regular bullet base to the right, showing color contrast (silver/grey).

So, "backwards" seems to be successful seating. Next Step will be to load up 20 and shoot in my Savage Axis II heavy 20" barrel with muzzle brake, and that will take a few days.

From Lyman 50:

"The 308 Winchester also works well with cast bullets. Best accuracy will usually occur in the velocity ranges of 1,600 to 2,000 feet per second."

All Lyman cast bullets used were gas-checked.

Lyman's load data for 170 cast using 15 grains of Unique, for 1816 fps. Similar loads using IMR-3031 or H335(WC844) go up to 26-2700 fps, but I can extrapolate down for 2000 fps. That is probably as fast as I will want these cast bullets to go. I am looking for a reduced-recoil range ammo (steel plates out to 400 yards), as that Savage has been beating my shoulder with Australian NATO 7.62 rounds. I located my jug of WC872, so I am sure duplex loads in 308 and 300 WM will be coming soon.
Hey do you think the gas checks would fit better if slightly flared with an appropriate sized punch, then tap-tap-tap tapped into the bullets base, then fed through the sizing die to crimp it on evenly?

Have you considered starting the gas check on with a 311/314 sizer 1st?
Stage it... as I have to do sizing a Lyman 458+ Gould down to the 452 Bushmaster.

Have you considered starting the gas check on with a 311/314 sizer 1st?
No need to purchase different sizes. I just took my "backward-seated" gas checked bullet and passed it through the 309 again, bullet tip first. It stayed in place and looks good.
I think the first pass has to be backwards, then one pass forward.

Back