Addicted to Smith and Wesson?

I do know the pain. This was 5 years ago. Some how they just keep reproducing.

Attachments

• phprnFH20PM.jpg
    phprnFH20PM.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 60
Nice little clear and easy to follow video, MrJog. I've never seen a yoke retention screw like the one shown on the vid. Mine, all older S&Ws are just solid screws with a flat end.

Sgt Lumpy

I still own 2 S&W revolvers, a 386 Sc/S and a Model 29. Regretably, I sold my elderly Model 19 (kicks self in ass), but happily sold my much more recent Model 686+. To me, S&W is not what it once was. Every one I've inspected recently has been laughably overpriced and underwhelming. Alas.

No addiction here, but so far I've had 3 S&W revolvers and now 3 S&W semi-autos.

If I have an "addiction", it is conceptual. I have fallen for the 3rd generation Smith semi-autos, in a big way. But, so far, I've kept it under control (only 3 so far).

I like used guns better than new, anyway (so it all fits perfectly). I am staying out of the gun shops right now, lest I find any more overlooked polizei trade-ins or other neglected 3g's.....that need a good home.

Highpower - Could you list the model numbers of the guns in your pic please? Beautiful Rack-O-Smiths.

I'd be happy to......

Left side:

1950 K38 Masterpiece
1948 K22 Masterpiece
1976 M66 no dash

Right side:

1978 M57 no dash
1995 M629 Classic DX
1978 M29-2
1959 M29 no dash

Beautiful. Thanks for the list.

I have that same 1976 66 no dash. Finest gun I've ever fired/carried. Your whole rack is a handful of masterpiece!

Sgt Lumpy

Funny you say that......
S&W is a great company, nothing wrong with giving them your business. I sure do. I also like their 1911's and I encourage your intrigue in them. When I purchased my E Series I actually asked a few younger gentleman working at the store what they thought of S&W 1911's. They scoffed and said Springfield all the way. Needless to say I am a happy owner of a great shooter.

Pain? How about when one of your younglings is named Smith and the other Wesson? And they're both girls. Of course they're also both English Setters. :p

I'm a fan as well...but
Back in '07 I bought a nice 4506.
I liked it a lot but one day when shooting outdoors the extractor abandoned ship. Of course I couldn't find the part in the weeds and dirt.
It took me about 6 months to find a replacement and in fact I never did. The Smith I took it to finally located one.
Once repaired I sold it.

I now have a 6906 that I'm quite fond of - I hope I don't have the same thing happen to it :-(

I have a small addiction too :D
20121225_110831.jpg

Sure
Left side form the top
Old K22
1905 4th change
Safety Hammerless Lemon squeezer in 38 S&W
637-2
On the right from the top
25-2
28-2
586-1
The semi-autos are a SW9VE and a 5906
Just something about S&W that I can't pass up :)

You have a nice addiction. The only two revolvers on the market today that are worth anything are Smith & Wesson and Ruger.

I'm just joking about the autos, of course.

I think the 1911sc, the new commander length with rounded butt, is the coolest looking 1911 I've ever seen.

Sgt Lumpy

" I now have a 6906 that I'm quite fond of - I hope I don't have the same thing happen to it :-("

LewSchiller,

Extractors breaking are a rare occurrence in any 3rd gen. Smith. 6906's are considered pretty well bulletproof. However, just do what I've done : order a spare from Brownell's, Midway or Numrich....and keep it for a rainy day. I got 2 from Numrich (used, of course) for my 6904 and 6906....and they appear just fine (nice and sharp, no excessive wear). I've also obtained a spare set of springs for each gun. So, I'm good to go - for the foreseeable future.

I used to worry about stuff breaking on my Mauser rifles, so I developed the habit of stocking the most likely-to-fail parts. I've never had to use ANY of my Mauser spares.....and I doubt it will be much different with my Smiths.

Back