Active Shooting in Progress Midlands-Odessa, Tx

True about Chicago. Democrats run Chicago. Why don't they DO SOMETHING about Chicago now as example to the rest of us?

What jumps out at me is that the shooter's weapon has not yet been identified, but NBC News can't wait to mention that it "may have been a .223 AR-15 style weapon."

Based on the local news broadcasts showing shot up vehicles, I’m guessing caliber > .223. Just a WAG; but I’d guess .35-.45 range.

It never rains but it pours. On Friday evening, 10 people were injured (9 shot, one had a seizure) when a 17-year old opened fire in a stadium following a high school football game.
I think we're okay on that one. It doesn't fit the narrative.

I think we're okay on that one. It doesn't fit the narrative.

Gang members have been killing each other since as long as we have had gangs. Always been a bit of collateral damage. The regular gun control always fixes it so nothing new to discuss there. In fact better to just ignore it because of all the uncomfortable truth there.

MTT TL said:
Because so few legal gun owners are actual criminals it is very difficult for most to understand unless they work long term in a field where they have frequent contact with criminals in their element such as a landlord, paramedic, cop, etc.
Landlord? You mean something like working for one of the largest public housing agencies in the state? Something like that?

Yeah ... been there and done that, but I didn't get a tee shirt.

Landlord? You mean something like working for one of the largest public housing agencies in the state? Something like that?

been there

So, did you actually live on site in the hood? Because that would be quite relevant. Although working for public housing is a bit easier IMO. Around here they don't have to collect any non-existent rent money.

MTT TL said:
So, did you actually live on site in the hood?
No. You mentioned landlords, and the Housing Authority was by far the largest landlord in the city.

In point of fact, when I started with the agency the executive director took me around to all the projects and personally introduced me to the people on the tenants' councils at each project. Once we had gone through that ritual, he told me, "Okay, you should be safe in any of the projects during the day now that they know I've vouched for you. But don't EVER go into one of the projects at night."

Nope, I have no idea what you're talking about.

So you want to somehow "correct" that mentality? From all the people who grew up in the projects?

If you never went in there at night you missed most of the story. But you probably have figured out enough to realize that is never going to happen. (Well maybe not, since you seem to think that gang members and career criminals are not on drugs)

Aguila Blanca said:
I don't know any more than you, but in these cases I'm going to guess you're wrong. In the Texas incident, I'm going to guess that the shooter will be found to have been a convicted felon who was prohibited from possessing firearms, and when he was stopped he made a decision that he wasn't going to go back to prison.
Looks like I missed the boat big time with this guess. I just read an article that reported the shooter was convicted of a misdemeanor trespassing charge in 2001, and the charge was dismissed after a two-year probation period.

https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/EDEA0DBC-CCE6-11E9-BEAC-9884F5BE3457

Back to square one, waiting to see if anyone comes up with a motive.

MTT TL said:
I have never, EVER said or written that. Not once in my life.
I was looking at Post #17.

In which I wrote:

Aguila Blanca said:
I don't know any more than you, but in these cases I'm going to guess you're wrong. In the Texas incident, I'm going to guess that the shooter will be found to have been a convicted felon who was prohibited from possessing firearms, and when he was stopped he made a decision that he wasn't going to go back to prison. The Mobile shooter was 17 years old. He was probably a gang member who felt somebody had disrespected him. In the gang world, the recourse when somebody disrespects you is to cap their [bleep]. Gratuitous violence is a way of life for too many youths today. Just a couple of days ago there was an after school rumble that involved 100 kids fighting -- in the school parking lot.
Nothing in that post says, or even implies, that gang members and felons aren't drug users.

Motive ?

The guy was clearly sliding mentally downhill fast -- both at home and on the job -- and just went ape after the final straw of being being fired.
The state troopers arrived -- stopped him for minor traffic violation -- and he literally hit the detonate button.

This one's going get very ugly when all the missed chances are revealed -- as they are now slowly rolling out:
https://apnews.com/eef251ac02a74cb7ba195f83a9494c45

Last edited:
mehavey said:
Motive ?

The guy was clearly sliding mentally downhill fast -- both at home and on the job -- and just went ape after the final straw of being being fired.
The state troopers arrived -- stopped him for minor traffic violation -- and he literally hit the detonate button.

This one's going get very ugly when all the missed chances are revealed -- as they are now slowly rolling out:
https://apnews.com/eef251ac02a74cb7ba195f83a9494c45
Reading that link, and two other articles linked from that, all I see is a lot of generalized innuendo and a remarkable lack of any concrete information whatsoever.

Wait..... and consider that legal sharp edges will not deflect (much less shield)
in mob-whipped emotions & the politics that follow.

The Gentle Readers already know what I think of both the UBC & RF "do something"
pressure on the horizon. But if what we read (including the Governor's own words)
bears out to any significant degree, this one's going to play into both of those agendas.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/suspect-west-texas-mass-shooting-made-rambling-calls/story?id=65316967
https://www.wsj.com/articles/texas-shooter-called-911-fbi-in-hours-before-rampage-11567463504

From one of your links (echoing the same statements I saw in other articles):

Combs said the condition of Ator's Odessa home when investigators searched it on Saturday also indicated the person who lived there was in the throes of mental instability.

"I can tell you the conditions reflect what we believe his mental state was going into this," Combs said. "He was on a long spiral of going down. He didn't wake up Saturday morning and walk into his company and then it happened. He went into that company in trouble. He's probably been in trouble for a while."
So what were these [alleged] conditions? Zero specifics.

What are the clues that he was on a long spiral of going down? Again, zero information. They are engaging in character assassination of an individual who isn't alive to defend himself.

And the governor claims the shooter had a long criminal history and had failed a background check, yet so far the ONLY mention we've had of a criminal history was a non-disqualifying misdemeanor charge of trespass dating all the way back to 2001, and that was basically wiped off the charts by successful completion of a two-year probation period. So, if he had a criminal history, tell us what he did and when he did it. If he failed a NICS check, tell us when and why. It's not like he's going to be going to trial so they have to worry about tainting the jury pool.

Back