Active Military, a 4473, and Walmart

I've been in two local shops and it wasn't cost that caused me to dislike shopping there.

I went in to both and asked if they had a Marlin model 60 and both shops told me those were junk and I should buy x(one wanted to sell me a ruger 10/22 and the other a savage bolt gun).

Neither one said we don't have any in stock but I can give you a price and we can order it for you. I even asked about them ordering and their response was we don't do that. So my only option was to buy what they wanted to sell me.

I don't know if it was just that the salesman didn't want to do any extra work but it didn't seem right.

I prefer local shops to walmart but the staff and service at the local shops here has not left a good first impression.

I get what you're saying and I am with you but when Walmart has what I want and the others don't (and don't want to get it) I don't have many options. It appears walmart doesn't want to sell me one either.

I may go give one of the shops another try and see if I can get them to sell me what I want.

vranasaurus,

Don't forget to look in pawn shops and military surplus stores, vranasaurus. Also sporting goods stores like Acadamy Sports, Sportsmens Warehouse, Cabellas, Bass Pro, Big 5 Sporting Goods. Also, you can buy long guns from out of state FFLs, usually.

I gotta agree on the rotten local stores. Everywhere base I visit, the stores closest to the gate have the worst customer service. Its like they know that private/airman/sailor Snuffy will show up looking for his first real firearm not caring who he buys it from, and those purchases will support them regardless of whether anyone comes back. Then, their ability to show a profit regardless of lousy service pushes the other good stores out of business.

Its a rotten, but sadly self-perpetuating cycle. Id rather buy from Walmart or the Bx than from people who have and give no respect to their customers.

"people who have and give no respect to their customers"
Sometimes that would be the big chain stores, as well.

I had one sporting goods employee lecture, then threaten to "call our CO" for trying to buy .45ACP, when one person in our group (not the buyer) was only 20. "Federal crime," "Article 15" and some others were thrown out for good measure. Obviously, the guy didn't quite grasp the details of the GCA.

...this was after we tried to explain that we were not breaking the law...

Back