Action Screw froze when pillar bedding...dry ice bath?

I would be tempted to try the 'old spot annealing carbon stick/torch'.

For years I have read/watched the suggestion of using a V-block to support the receiver and a drill press with a screw driver bit. And that always causes me to believe the world is unfair. I do not have a Mauser screw that will tolerate the torque.

F. Guffey

F. Guffey, I have a screw jack that I made, using a 1/4" bit extension, bar stock, all thread, and thrust bearings. It goes across the firearm, like a vise, and the bit extension is movable in a slot. I use it on stubborn screws, so the bit can't come out, but it is like you say, if you put too much torque on one, the head will snap off the screw, or a bit will break.

There is nothing like penetrating fluid, letting it soak, and even applying heat around the tapped hole. If one doesn't break loose after that, the screw will generally break, and you have to drill it out, then re-tap. The screw jack, and the drill press idea, are only a means of keeping the driver bit in the slot, especially if the slot has been damaged by the wrong type of screwdriver.

There is nothing like penetrating fluid, letting it soak,

I am sure you are correct but I believe the question had to do with a screw that is glassed in. And one more time, I do not believe there are cheaper screws than the ones that are used on Mausers. I know, the answers always start with "all you have to do".

I use a 12 volt carbon torch stick to heat screws, and I know, so does everyone else.

F. Guffey

Mr Guffey,as often as I have disagreed with you,this time I believe you are offering sound advice.
I remember the old carbon arc sticks..don't think I have seen one in many years.

I would think some very heavy gage single strand copper might do,with an auto battery and jumper cables.

It would take two people.The make and break contact must be done at the battery.You don't want to strike an arc at the screw.

That would heat the full length of the screw,not just the head,as with a soldering iron.

Good idea,Mr Guffey.

It would take two people.The make and break contact must be done at the battery.You don't want to strike an arc at the screw.

I will not ask "How many reloaders does it take to screw a light bulb into it's socket?". Roy Dunlap in his book on gunsmithing published a "How to" illustration in his book. That had to be 60+ years ago. Then there are peddles for Singer sewing machines, variable speed. I have a peddle operated drill press. Anyhow, Roy Dunlap used the carbon torch as a spot annealer.

F. Guffey

The make and break contact must be done at the battery

The best way to render a battery scrap is make a spark at the terminals, there is something about oxygen and hydrogen gas that is violent when returning to water.

F. Guffey

While I can't say I necessary have the answer,I'd be reluctant to use the impact.

I agree, there is something about sudden acceleration from a dead stop that reminds me of an accident. I have wrenches that are impact driven, with a hammer. I have impact tools that are pullers, I have impact tools that can be operated without air and or electricity. I have not found it necessary to use them in many years, but, I have them JIC.

F. Guffey

There is something about repeated tap-tap-tap torque on the hand-driven
impact cam -- combined with it's equal downward pressure -- that has freed
up just about every stuck gunsmithing screw I've every encountered...
w/o stripping out even the narrowest of slotted heads.

... including those installed by Uberti's staff of Italian-speaking gorillas. ;)

Last edited:
There is something about repeated tap-tap-tap torque on the hand-driven
impact cam -- combined with it's equal downward pressure -- that has freed
up just about every stuck gunsmithing screw I've every encountered...
w/o stripping out even the narrowest of slotted heads.

There is something about a question some simply do not get. I said Mauser screws are more likely to snap off than they are to respond with finesse. Then there is that other factor. How long is the screw? I like a screw that is hooked up short.

Then there is soaking, try years, I had the time. I did not need the chucks but for $5.00 each I could not pass up the Heavy 10 3 jaw W.S. chuck or the Cushman or the other chuck. Anyhow, the WS chuck looks like a Chinese trade dollar with all of the chop marks, my stamp marks and the original stamp marks.

F. Guffey

Back