Acog or Red dot sights?

I've been in country now for a few months. I don't know where you're deploying too, but without getting into too much detail I've been all over the south. In my opinion, you'll want the ACOG. I carried both in Iraq, but when I was there it wasn't to kintetic. Here, I've stuck with the ACOG. The terrain is ever changing, and I think it's better to have the extra magnification and not need it then need it and not have it. Look at the stats on the war and you'll notice most casualities are from IED's. I don't know if you know what the 5 c's are when dealing with an IED, but one of them is confirm. Guess who gets to do that? Unless you're SOPs are different, you do. I'd rather have that magnification to scope out a possible IED with a blast radius of whatever the hell the insurgent felt like making..A little bit of stand-off if ya will ;)

When it comes to CQB, there's always this great debate of using the sights or 'glancing over them.' I think the point and shoot reflex would be easier to master then judging where to hold at 600m's with a reddot in the middle of getting shot at, especially considering the type of training you'll probably be getting.

That's just my opinion though.

-Max.

I think the ACOG with a Red dot (Doctor) mounted on top is a good idea.

That's the combo I'd recommend.

Having access to a magnified optic is crucial for target identification, adjusting fire, etc, and while 10x binos are nice, it is often faster and easier to simply use the optic on your weapon.

I prefer the ACOG for the magnification, the ballistic reticle, and for the range estimation capabilities. However, it does suck using it to clear rooms, even with the integrated iron sights, which your model probably doesn't have. That's where a J-point, or similar RDS, comes in handy.

A RDS can get the job done, however, you have to acquire the add on magnifier if you want enhanced target ID capabilities, you will have to learn and use hold offs beyond 300M, and you don't get the benefit of using the reticle for range estimation. They are great up close though.

Most of the direct fire engagements are going to come from well out of effective range, and if you don't have some type of magnified optic, it's going to be difficult to locate baddy firing positions.

Back in the day, we had to make a choice to compromise either the speed offered by a RDS, or the magnification offered by the ACOG. Today you can have both, and I'd highly recommend you take advantage of this capability.

And the old 11B squad leader in me speaks: It's the training, not the gear. Hopefully you guys are getting it, if not, head to a range with long-distance lanes and get some trigger time in, if possible. Good luck, thank you for your service, and happy hunting.

I have a scope on My AR-15 coupled with a reflex sight. You complaint is a common one from some of the Soldiers that I worked with when using the ACOG at the closer targets. I thought that some of them had a ghost ring setup on them for 50M and closer? They got issued a mixture of ACOGS and prismatic sights.

You could do this. ;)

e0f95_r_392612886-tm-tfb.jpg

Back