ACLU & 2nd Amend

For those at the beginning of this thread that want a definition of the militia in this country, get a copy of the United States Code and read Title X

Section 311, Title 10, United States Code

The Militia

Militia: composition and classes

a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45
years of age and who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and female citizens of the United States
who are commissioned officers of the National Guard.

b) The classes of the militia are:

(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and

(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

"A Collective Right" eh? I've heard this theory of collective right batted around quite alot.. and always when the Second Amendment is being addressed. Does anyone know how this theory of collective right got started?

To me the all the rights imposed by the constitution apply to the individual. I suspect that the collective idea is drummed up by lawyers to dismiss things they don't agree with.

In a previous post, I mentioned that "well-regulated" meant "well-equipped" when the Framers wrote the Constitution. I drew this conclusion from a Civil War news item that
said "The xxx regiment was well-regulated, being armed with the new Sharps breechloader". Some readers demurred. Does anyone know a site that deals with obsolete/archaic words and their meanings? I could ask GOA, NRA, etc., but it would be a
suspicious source in some eyes. On the "collective" issue bit, it would be fun to
apply that meaning to the other Amendments that refer to "the People" -- i.e. only the National Guard is secure from illegal search and seizure (4th), etc.

Back