Achieving and Maintaining HD/SD Proficiency

define training... most people just get a box of ammo a few times a year, and shoot at a watermelon and call it good. dont even need to hit it.

for most people having a handgun is just tasliman based defense. much like for a large portion of people between 18 and 25, who think that th epurchase of a box of condoms means theyll get lucky.

Quote:
I am much more worried that some idiot with a 2,000 pound car is texting his buddy and so runs into me, which is what happened to my wife several years ago.
I couldn't agree with you more . Driver is a privilege which we treat as a right. Gun ownership is a right which the government treats as a privilege. The driving horse has left the barn. Road carnage dwarfs anything associated with criminal or negligent use of firearms. I do think gun owners should hold themselves to high standards.

I absolutely agree with those statements and, while not wanting to wander too far from the selfdefense shooting subject, I also want to point out that most people are not very well trained and prepared to operate a motor vehicle.

I have gotten my sons some safety training on a closed circuit, where they did emergency braking and steering on wet roads. They were quite amazed at the results and the lesson learnt has helped them to avoid more than one accident!

Now back to the original subject. While one of the previous posters is correct, that no two fights will be the same, a high level of confidence and skill will be reassuring.

It will also make a difference if you can draw in 1.2 seconds from concealment to the first hit or over 2 seconds to the first miss.

for most people having a handgun is just talisman based defense. much like for a large portion of people between 18 and 25, who think that the purchase of a box of condoms means they'll get lucky.

Ah...the best I've seen on the internet in a long, long time. Very nicely done!

that is about what it is for most of th epopulation. heres a story that will shed some light on how people view self defense.

was driving along in the country going home one night. saw a big plume of flame in a yard. stopped saw what was going on, knocked on the door. inside door opened, screen door opened. and out popped a 5 foot tall female with a baseball bat held by both hands on the very top.
no clue, no sense of "hey whos knocking at 10 pm?".

they may sometimes go through the MOTIONS but they have no follow through or sense of whats really going on. Kinda like the idiot city kid in basic training who understands "pull pin from grenade" but not "then throw grenade"

for most people having a handgun is just tasliman based defense. much like for a large portion of people between 18 and 25, who think that th epurchase of a box of condoms means theyll get lucky.

This was confirmed yesterday by one of our handgun instructors. He's a fanatic about competency and also instructs folks who need to qualify for CCW. He has had 2-3 folks return for help in order to re-qualify who haven't fired a round in the year since their original test. Two of these folks failed their first attempt at re-qual. Sounds like the talisman philosophy is prevalent, at least in CA.

IDPA and USPSA have about 50K members (but there is probably some overlap). There are smaller disciplines.

The vast majority of CHL, CCW types don't even carry their guns consistently. They have a 'car' gun. That's pretty silly as most incidents don't happen in your car.

One might look at the percent of veterans who carry.

Overall, folks don't have training. Luckily - they don't face intensive incidents. Most are deterrent and not intense critical incidents.

So untrained do well in deterrent. In critical incidents - we do see a mixed bag but the numbers are small as to not lead to solid conclusions.

Back