accurate rifle

My 223 has become the rifle I shoot most, though it's the caliber I hunt with least. If the OP is going to use the rifle just for targets, get the 223. If hunting is also an objective, I'd go for the Creedmore.

If I wanted anything better than a good 75 gr .223 at 300 yards, it would be a 6mm BR.
A 6.5 or .308 has little advantage so close.

For the most part what cartridge you pick isn't that important as far as accuracy is concerned. So pick the most cost effective.

Worry about what rifle is best and how much training you're willing to do.

a guy at our club offered me a Remington 700 BDL 223 with beautiful wood and no blueing wear for $500.00 including a scope. Does that sound like a good deal to you guys.

Sounds reasonable, hard to say without knowing the make and model of the scope, which could be worth anything from $20 - $2,000.

For 500 bucks for the rifle, you can always trade the scope at a later date, personally I prefer a higher magnification for target shooting my 223..

we are going to shoot it Monday and if the accuracy is what he claims I will buy it. I have seen the gun and the condition is pristine.
What size groups should I realistically expect at 100, 200 and 300 yds off a bench rest with front bipod and rear bag ?

I would expect 1" groups at 100yds. but that might depend on factory ammo or handloads once you get past 100 alot of that depends on the shooter.

rebs
To bad, sounded like a good deal. I kind of feel it might come around again. Jump on it when he gets soft again. Most likely it's a 1/12 twist but older Remington the wood is beautiful , bluing is top shelf.

When he needs money he wants to sell but if he has money he don't want to sell. I'll have to wait until he is broke again and act fast.

When he needs money he wants to sell but if he has money he don't want to sell. I'll have to wait until he is broke again and act fast.

Wow, I didn't know that you knew my brother. :)

I feel like a personal pawn service. He just bought his Colt Python back (finally) and I am still sitting on his Colt SP 1. I would rather loan him money against a gun that see him sell them outside of family. :)

Ron

Back