Accurate Range Finders?

Rembrandt: How many gold pieces did the Swarovski RF set you back?

I'm on the lookout for something for prairie dogs, and I was impressed when I looked through a pair of Swarovski binoculars a few years back. Sharp as a razor!

:)

I have the Leica CRF 1600.
It is one of the few things I have that could not be better.

I had a CRF 1100. I sold that to my brother and got the 1600. I never had any problems with the 1100 either.

If I take the battery out to check it, the 1600 will revert to meters, not yards. That caused me to sight in and shoot a deer in meters 2013. Operator error. The 1100 did not do that.

I keep it on a lanyard, so when I am stalking before dawn through cactus when down on my belly, I don't want to lose it.

Gary's reference to Wingate's NRA manual (published in 1872) is interesting. In reading what it says and knowing the cartridge ballistics of the era, it's no wonder that coincidence optical rangefinders invented a few years later easily outperformed stadimetric eye sight estimations. Too many variables in the method Wingate describes but no doubt impressive at the time to most folks. Coincident ones made by Barr & Stroud (in Scotland?) several years later were in great demand by military outfits. Very accurate but stereoscopic ones made even later were better for spotting the fall of shot in range.

There's still nothing wrong with C/I types IMO.

The onlyproblem is bulk, you need a long base line for accurate triangulation with one so they have to be big.

I modded mine slightly, adding a yellow/blue filter set the the intake windows to increase image contrast. Mine is surprisingly accurate out to the listed 1,000 yds.

While hunting two weeks ago I found a rangefinder. I knew whoever dropped it must have been ranging something and excited by deer. Sure enough I chased up some does a few feet later.

It looks like it was not lost this season. I don't know what it is worth, but I am just glad it still has the case, so it is complete.

Nikon, huh!
I think I need to clean the lens.

Attachments

• Rangefinder found 2014 hunting in sage brush.jpg
    Rangefinder found 2014 hunting in sage brush.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 210
Back