accurate .223 rifle under $500?

I have a real accurate stevens 200 in 223. so I would recommend a savage, I have a weatherby vanguard that is made by howa but mine is not accurate at all, I know many love them and I like the rifle overall but I cannot get any accuracy out of it at all. I have tried lighting the trigger and a new stock and many different bullet weights and types and different powerders.....no luck. I really wanted this rifle to work out but so far nothing works. the savage's are a good place to start but so is the ruger American and Mossberg patriot. I have the ruger in 243 and its not bad at all. there seem to be many entry level rifles now that are accurate right out of the box but beware of the plastic stocks they can work out ok but many are so flimsy that they touch the barrel. watch how you hold them or place them in your rest to be sure you are always touching in the same place or replace them.

I found a 1972 Savage 110 223 for $240 at a gun show.
I got a $114 Lothar Walther barrel blank from brownells
I got $109 pro varmint stock from Boyds.

Savage11022335grVmax13grBlueDot100yards4groupsof59-18-2013.jpg

35 gr Vmax 15 gr Blue Dot 100 yards

223Sav1109-18-2013gammagammatiny.jpg

It has been to the range once and prairie dog hunting once.
Wow. That's an economical load.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have a Savage 11 Predator Hunter that shoots lights out. It likes heavier bullets. 69-75gr have had the best results. My pet load is 24gr Varget under a Hornady 68gr HPBT. It shoots great with Federal Gold Medal Match for factory ammo.

Found one of those Remington combo "specials" on gunbroker for a price I couldn't pass up, and got it home just a couple of days ago. It's a M700, ADL, synthetic stocked .223 with scope, base and rings already mounted (24" bbl.). My total cost from gunbroker to my home through my FFL guy (shipping and all) was $450.00. The scope (3-9X40mm) isn't much, though the optics are quite clear. I'll sight it in with the glass it came with, but I've got plans for something better that I have in the safe.

I've got the dies and all the components I need to build some hand loads, and I'll let you know how the range results pan out after our grandkids get home, and I can concentrate on the new shooter and a load for it. It's got a 1/12 r.o.t., and from what I've been reading, it should stabilize the 60 grain bullets I want to try out first; we'll see. If the rifle doesn't work out, I'll no doubt trade it in on a R. American. I've got two ADLs already, and like the platform. And, since it's Remington's 200th year, and I like the M700, I'm glad to give it a try. Hoping it's a keeper.

Good choices mentioned already.

One that's been not mentioned is the Marlin XS heavy varmit barrel .223 rifle with a 1 in 9 twist. Yep, the Marlin X series rifles are discontinued, which is a shame. Own several of them in various cartridges, all shot well for accuracy out of the box for me.

I own one of the .223 XS heavy varmit barrel rifles. Only thing not factory about it, is the stock I made for it that's more suitable for shooting from benchrest. Consistently, one of my most accurate rifles and I often use it in our private ranges rifle competitions. Have won one of these events held at 200 yds with a perfect 100 score tying another gent with a 6BR custom rifle. I won because I had more X's. Chuckle, I easily had the lowest priced rifle in the competition with by far the lowest priced scope mounted on it.

first outing...

Because I had a bit of time this morning, I took my new .223, M700 ADL out to the range just to zero it, and just shot it at 50 yards. First, I pulled the bolt, centered the bore on the target and adjusted the scope that came on the rifle. As it said in the manual that the scope was just bore-sighted, that was certainly correct, and actually, it was quite close, and on the target.

The day got the rifle, I bought a box of Winchester, 55 grn. s.p.'s to try it out before I got all my reloading equipment set up to make some hand loads. I took 5 shots to walk the scope to the center of the bull, and then shot 5 for group. Four of the shots were right @ 1/2," centered very nicely on the orange dot. I pulled my last shot, and the group measured right @ 7/8." I know, 50 yds. doesn't tell much, but I've got some fire formed brass now, and I believe there's some promise there.

As the rifle has about a 22lb. trigger pull (not quite, but close), and I had a pretty good wind quartering from my back to the right, and I was just shooting over my rolled up jacket, I was happy with this first go-round. When I get some hand loads worked up, I'll report on that and be shooting at 100 yards with my proper bench rest equipment. Also, the scope that came on the rifle is quite nice, focuses very well, and has no parallax whatsoever. Not bad at all. So far, so good with the new .223

I picked up a new Rem 700 ADL, .223 Rem this week from a Maine salvage company (Marden's) for $267. It had been purchased from WalMart by a gun shop that went out of business, then the shop was bought out by Marden's. The store's slogan is something like, "Better buy it when you see it at Marden's". The gun shop price had been about $400.

After adjusting the Mark X Pro trigger to 3 lbs, routing out the barrel channel, and smoothing up the bolt, and replacing the crappy scope with an old 8-32 Tasco target scope, it's shooting nicely.

I didn't have time to go to the range, so went down the woods road behind the house and sighted it in. After walking rounds to my 1" high zero, fired two shots that touched, centered 3/8" to the left. Took 3 clicks right (1/8 min clicks) and made a dead zero shot that would have been exactly in one of the two other shots, making a .3" group. (Not bad for shooting off the back of my pickup, over a sandbag, with deer flies buzzing around me.)

The load was one worked up for my Rem 700 Light Varmint that happened to fit tightly in this chamber (26.0 gr of H335, CCI Primers, 55 Grain Sierra HPBT).

I just bought this one, and am waiting for it to ship. It's just a 1:12 twist so 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips will probably be what it eats the most. It maxes out your $500 budget plus a few dollars after transfer, but I'm excited to get it. I always wanted a M70 .223 rifle!

pix460830797.jpg

pix970111547.jpg

pix281246218.jpg

pix548315652.jpg

pix174167142.jpg

pix383591532.jpg

Take a look at the CZ 527 American. It has a nice Turkish walnut stock, 20" sporter weight bbl, and a single set trigger. And they come with 1" rings. They are a little above your price point. I have one and it is a very nice, nice looking, lightweight rifle that will drive tacks. Until 2014 they came with a 1:12 twist and current production is a 1:9 twist. Mine likes Sierra 52 gr. HPBTs.

https://www.czub.cz/en/produkty/kulovnice/lite/cz-527-american.html

I just bought this one, and am waiting for it to ship. It's just a 1:12 twist so 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips will probably be what it eats the most. It maxes out your $500 budget plus a few dollars after transfer, but I'm excited to get it. I always wanted a M70 .223 rifle!

pix460830797.jpg

pix970111547.jpg

pix281246218.jpg

pix548315652.jpg

pix174167142.jpg

pix383591532.jpg
Nice. That looks like my .243 'Youth Ranger'. It's basically a featherweight with sights and a birch stock.

FiveInADime said:
Nice. That looks like my .243 'Youth Ranger'. It's basically a featherweight with sights and a birch stock.

It is a youth 12.5" LOP, I might have to get an aftermarket stock for it. I do think that I can shoot a 12.5" stock with no issues though.

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for sharing their thoughts and ideas. I've been taking what everyone has said into account and as of now its a toss up between the Savage 12Fv and the Howa mini action. I like how the howa mini action was built to use the .223 round so that in its own should mean its very precise and it has a 10 rd detachable mag which is really nice for when I go to the range, However i'm limited to where i can buy it since there are only big chains that sell guns by me (welcome to Illinois) and I want to avoid the ffl fees. So at cabela's its $599.99 which is over my budget. Then there's the savage 12 fv which comes in at $419.99 and from my initial research it is very accurate as well but I still need to do some more research on it. What do you guys think?

(Not bad for shooting off the back of my pickup, over a sandbag, with deer flies buzzing around me.)
I live in Maine too--the deer flies and mosquitoes sometimes help carry in my gear to shoot in the woods, and I usually lose a pound or two of blood during each session. :D

I've learned that you have to shoot fast. The other day I covered myself with DEET 100--but you could almost hear little voices saying "Yum--make mine a doulble, on the rocks" and got bit from head to toe anyway. ;)

Good luck on your .223 choosing, and working through your budget (I, too, know what that's all about). This has been a fun thread, and thanks a lot, it made me purchase another rifle! My wife just rolled her eyes... I got my trigger adjusted on my ADL, and thankfully it was a very easy task; got it down to just over 3lbs.

Made some handloads and just got to shoot them again @ 50 yards, as there was a 25 mph+ cross wind at the range yesterday. I put 10 shots off the bench right at 1," and I know that really doesn't tell me much, but it's a start on the reloads. I'm hoping the 1:12 r.o.t. will work with the 60 grain, s.p. bullets, as that's considered legal for deer here in Wyoming if I choose to use the .223.

My first reload for this rifle is as follows:

Once fired WW brass, partial sized and trimmed @ 1.75."
CCI 400 small rifle primers.
25.5 grns. of W748 powder.
60grn. Hornady S.P. bullets.

Actually, this hand load shot better @ 50 yds. than the factory Winchester loading I got my fired-formed brass from. That box of factory stuff had 55grn. S.P.s. The next proof will be at 100 yds. when I can find a fairly calm morning at the range, and that will tell a lot on this new project. Oh, yeah, this is one fun rifle to shoot besides!

Anyone have a pet load using a 60grn. bullet in a 1:12 r.o.t. rifle?

It is a youth 12.5" LOP, I might have to get an aftermarket stock for it. I do think that I can shoot a 12.5" stock with no issues though.
Yes. Same-same. I bought a take-off XTR Featherweight stock for it from a gunsmith but it's beat to hell and I haven't got around to fixing it up. I'm not even sure where it is after I moved recently. I use a thick slip-on pad on the youth stock. This will be my son's first deer rifle (as it was mine) but he's only 3 so I have a few more years using it as my coyote rifle. It's my most accurate M70.

By paying FFL Fees you might find a Deal on the rifle you want. The only time I don't pay FFL Fees is when I can't find the rifle cheaper online. I figure in shipping cost and FFL Fees whenever I purchase rifles online and if the total cost is cheaper than I can get locally with tax included then I buy it.

There are over 50 pages of FFL transfer agents in Illinois on gunbroker.com and many can sell you a firearm outright. I'm betting there is something other than the big box outlets closer than you think.

Going to try and head to a Gander Mountain by me to check out some of the rifles considering gander has a very wide selection. As far as i'm concerned all the rifles that everyone has pointed out sound good and im just going to have to let it come down to which rifle feels the best in my hands. Also the Cabela's by me is also out of stock on the Savage 12fv in 223 but I guess ill check it out in a different caliber just to get a feel for the rifle when I get the chance. Hopefully this will allow me to narrow down my choices, however the Howa rifles are looking pretty nice ;)

I picked up my Howa mini action from Cabelas for $349.00 on sale. Last I checked they were still on sale. Sorry, just checked no longer on sale. Still a very nice rifle at full price but the Savages are nice too.

Last edited:
Yea at $349 that's a steal for that rifle, its a shame they aren't still running that sale. Even online they run $500+

Back