accurate .223 rifle under $500?

Mstangret

Inactive
Looking for an accurate .223 rifle to practice some longer range shooting 100-200 yards from bench and prone and also to do some general plinking. Hoping to find something under $500 (just the rifle). I heard good things about the ruger american which is the rifle that currently has my eye. However I noticed there are a lot of rifles companies that make rifles that could fit my criteria such as remington and savage. any input and suggestions would be appreciated :)

I've got the Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 300BLK, and I've got to say that it's the best "cheap" bolt rifle I've ever shot. First 3 shots freehand touching each other! If I'd have wanted 223 I'd buy the same rifle in 223! The Predator MIGHT have a slightly longer barrel, but it's basically the same thing. I highly recommend the Ruger American!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Check out the HOWA 1500 mini action. It is a new model with an action length that is shorter than a standard short action. Purpose built for .223. I picked one up from Cabelas for $359.00. Nice action great trigger stout feeling stock and a 10 round DBM. I haven't shot it for score yet but it does look like its going to be a great shooter.

I agree totally with Joe. I own a Vanguard, 300WBY. Very accuate, easy to reload for.

The point is The Howa 1500, the Vanguard and others are based on what was once the Sako L-61. I think this was the Finnbear. It is considered by many to be, after the WBY MKV, the pinnacle of pushfeed design. It is as solid as you can machine a rifle. The receiver is machined from a solid billet, recoil lug is integral. The bolt is the same, machined from a solid billet, handle and all. I don't know that Sako invented the three rings of steel concept but I believe they were using it before Rem or WBY were advertising it. All the bottom metal was real metal. It see see now that Howa has gone over to the dark side and not all bottom metal is real metal. This is an edit.

It is heavier than the other entry level bolt rifles. The rifles competitive with the Howa are machined tube stock, washered recoil lugs, fused, alloyed, or partially hollow bolts, with as much plastic as they can get away with. The generally work very well. All seem to have reputations for excellent accuracy. Some designs, Savage, Tikka, and Browning are really ingenious designs, IMO.

If it was my $500, it would be the Howa. I just like the feel and smoothness of the solid bolt.

I own and have owned several Ruger pistols and rifles, and always find joy in every one. If Ruger puts their Hawk on it, it's going to be a good design, IMO.

Last edited:
I have had good experience with the Savage.

It may also be possible for you to find a CZ in that price range, which I would be looking closely at if I was in the same boat. It may stretch the high end of your price range but I think with some careful looking you could find one just under $500

H O W A
I've not had one that wasn't accurate.Currently have .223(x2), 257 WBY, 7mm08, 308, 30/06, and 300 Win mag.

I heard a lot of good things about the Ruger American Predator so I decided to get one just to see.

Mine is in 6.5 CM, but the 223 is the same rifle basically. Mine is extremely accurate and rivals my wife's RPR in 6.5.

The trigger is easy to adjust to suit your taste.

If you look around you can find them for < $400. The twist is 1:8 so you can use heavier bullets.

I'd certainly give it a look see.

Howa 1500

My Howa 1500 is a one of the Legacy Sports combination packages sold a few years ago. It came with a Hogue overmolded stock, a Nikko-Sterling scope already mounted and both the metal hinged floor plate and the plastic detachable 10 round magazine. The only addition that I made was the Harris Bi-pod.

I was leery of the plastic bottom "metal" and especially the plastic magazine but decided last year to try it out. The rifle functions just as well with the plastic installed and I will leave it in place until I start having problems with it. I like it well enough that I ordered a spare magazine from Midway USA. The only downside so far is the cost of the magazines; $45 +/-.
The upside is they feed reliably and fit well (mine don't rattle or fall out as some posters have claimed to experience)

cf3c70f9-a88c-4392-b5d3-1fc12fa4ea8d_zps1zbpgjpi.png

Here it is with the hinged floor plate installed next to my DPMS Bull 24. I use several different brands of plastic magazines in my ARs and have not had any problems, same (so far) with the plastic Howa mag.

a6765766-dcaa-45f6-9e1f-5b090a42f7b3_zps58wxjlzk.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe it's just my luck but I have had several bolt action 223's. Those by several manufacturers. Actually all of them were easy to get to shoot well. Only trigger issues on some of them, and maybe free float the barrel. Pretty easy actually.

two

My first thought was a Savage Hog rifle, but I am not sure what the asking price is on a new one. So what is the Savages next step down, the Axis? The next was the Ruger American, which we read great things about,and is certainly within your price point.

How do plan to use the rifle? If the rifle is going to be carried very much, a sorter weight rifle is the way to go but the downside is that for target shooting, although the rifle will be plenty accurate, the barrel will heat up fairly quickly causing point of impact shift and groups to open up. A heavy barrel is definitely superior for extended target shooting but is, of course, a burden to carry.

Now, which rifle? The good news is that there are lots of good choices these days. Personally, if I was going to be shooting from a bench a lot, I would get a Savage model 12 without a second thought. I have one in 22-250 that is ridiculous. You can cover a 100 yard 40 round group with a dime. For something to be carried, I would look at a Savage 10 or 11, a Remington 700, or maybe a CZ. The CZ's are really nice but might be difficult to find within budget.

I'd get the Howa 1500 short action in .223 with the 20" bull barrel.

Still portable, but very accurate and the price is right.

The Howa 1500 is at or very near the top of the list for push-feed actions. - An excellent design, well-made.

You can get the 24" bull barreled version for the same price, but I would not call that one portable.

Ruger American. We use them in the American Marksman at Regionals (.223 All-Weather). They are getting the snot beat out of them...and they are running awesome and still producing sub MOA groups.

We got the LH version after the first regional, sighted it in and the 2nd competitor using it, the firing pin broke. With only about 100 rounds on it, I am confident that it was an anomalous defective part.

The RH one at the last Regional saw about 1500 rounds through it, and it was HOT and was still working great. When I shot it after a squad had left, I was able to hit the center of the target at 100 yards 3 times out of 3.

Best deal out there by leaps and bounds if you are ok with 26 inch barrel is the Cabellas only Savage 12FV

Regular price is $420, Savage rebates apply, 50 and 100 off and sometimes Cabellas also knocks them 50 off.

The only part that is not top grade is the stock, so so.

Barrel is a Heavy one, just shy of the bull, Savage calls it a Varmint Contour

+1 on the Howa mini action. They have 1:9 twist and a 20" heavy barrel option. They also have a 20" heavy barrel option that comes threaded with a cap on it; sound or flash suppressor ready.

I believe the Ruger American family of rifles is popular for good reason. I would hope for 1 moa from a ruger. Not to say you could do a lot better, just saying that is my idea what I would really want out of a ruger to keep it instead of selling it off. I think were some reports of predators doing a lot better that.

I like to toss out another name for consideration. That is CZ. CZ offers model 527 rifles in classic walnut and blue metal and also synthetic versions. These CZ will deilver 1/2 moa with good factory ammo. My experience with Hornady and Fiocci polymer tip ammo. The CZ is true mauser type control feed in a mini version. Extremely simple & reliable single stack magazine. And all these parts are steel, not plastic, not alloy, not synthetic (unless you order a synthetic stock option) I think the price is about 100 over. IMHO close enough to $500 if you shop around and save up another month. The gun ships with rings. And no bases needed. That is an easy $50 saved.

The factory rings are just right for a 40mm objective scope which would be a typical choice for a varmint model or shooting off the bench.

I found a 1972 Savage 110 223 for $240 at a gun show.
I got a $114 Lothar Walther barrel blank from brownells
I got $109 pro varmint stock from Boyds.

Savage11022335grVmax13grBlueDot100yards4groupsof59-18-2013.jpg

35 gr Vmax 15 gr Blue Dot 100 yards

223Sav1109-18-2013gammagammatiny.jpg

It has been to the range once and prairie dog hunting once.

When you can buy a 12FV with a Heavy Barrel for something around $420 staring up, let alone 50 and a 100 off that has a great trigger that adjust down to 1.5 pounds, that is the definition of a great bargain.

do a lot of shooting with it and wear out the barrel and you can change it yourself or having a gunsmith do it.

You can order pre done barrels that are threaded and chambered and just have the old nut taken off, remove old barrel and thread on new one.

At least 10 barrel mfgs out there that supply that.

Can also change calibers.

Back