Accuracy: bolt vs auto vs lever

I've rarely gotten into situations where a fast second shot is needed, but last year I could have used a semi-auto when a huge buck appeared crossing a haul road fairly quickly and I forced a quick shot at it. It was just beyond the flat part of the road by the time I grabbed my rifle off the blind's shelf and snapped a shot off as it's front leg went into the ditch. My shot grazed the top of the back and it jumped vertically and spun around in the air, and retreated...re-tracing its path across the road. Distance was only about 120 yards. I might have had another shot if I was using a semi-auto, but was somewhat dumbfounded by its actions and assumed it had a lethal hit. If I'd had a semi-auto, I may have gotten my wits together and fired, but I just sat there waiting for it to fall, not even trying to work the bolt.

As it turned out, I just grazed the top of the back and didn't draw blood, just a small pile of back hair. We followed the trail for almost an hour, but didn't see a drop of blood. Then, lost the trail among others. I still don't know if a semi-auto or lever would have gotten that nice buck, but it's "water over the dam" so to speak.

Later in the season, I jumped a couple of large does in the hardwoods and they ran from left to right. There were so many trees in the way, I didn't bother to shoot at such a low-percentage chance. Would I, or someone else tried a bunch of shots with a semi-auto? Maybe, but it wasn't a good opportunity and would probably have resulted in a wounded deer. I didn't need/want that. Buckshot with a semi-auto shotgun may have been tempting, but we didn't need the meat, since all family freezers were full of moose meat.

I have shot sub moa groups with two of my falling block single shot rifles although that's not what most of us think of when referring to lever action rifles.

Nice group!

Of course you are right, she are a somewhat different Lever critter from Bolt or Semi r

Have following: M70, M88 & M100

Use the same reload in all, did rework the 88 / 100 regarding bedding.

All three @ prone would group 1.5" in the X-ring @200 yds.

Find a load that works and use it.

I've shot a lot of lever guns, when doing gun repair, etc. The problem that I saw with them often is that if a cartridge gets dinged and gets stuck partly in the chamber, it's a real problem, especially in the field. Hopefully, it won't fire that way, but getting it out can be dangerous. Bolt guns have a real advantage in camming power.

Think about all the tolerances and number of moving parts.
With everything else being equal (and it seldom is) fewer moving parts and tighter tolerances = greater accuracy.

Based on my experience, my M88 Winchester lever gun out shot all but one of the 6 bolt guns I've owned. The AR will out shoot bolts and the lever gun. I think the bolts out shoot the others theme is left over from the days of the 30-30 and the early semi autos. Taint so today.

For many years I lusted for a BAR 300 Win Mag. You older fellows know those beautiful engraved belgium made riles racked up in the isle at Sears, Roebuck & Company. Once a week I'd go and stare and lightly touch the one that caught my eye in prior visits.
Never came to fruition. It got sold. Anywho.

Accuracy comes with practice as does repetitiveness in use create speed. I've witnessed a few fellows here and there in my life lever & throw their bolts so quick all the while holding on target. Their shots made? Anyone~~would think such rifles were semi auto.

How good or not a rifles accuracy and quickness to use depends on the feller shouldering and his overall physical condition. As my Father would say: Accuracy is built into all firearm. How to see it? Depends on the guys ability shooting it.

I have a Browning BAR ll semi auto in .338 WinMag. It holds one MOA with factory ammo.

The main advantage of a semi-auto is felt recoil reduction.

My BAR, with 250 grain loads "feels" like shooting my Winchester Model 70 .30-06 with 150s.

Being an old target-shooter/handloader/varmint hunter/gunsmithing/deer hunter kind of a guy, I tend to only use rifles that shoot tight groups, whether a rifle having that accuracy is needed or not.

Practically-speaking, a deer rifle that shoots 3" at 100 yards with whatever sighting device may be employed is totally adequate for any deer hunter who shoots deer within 200 yards, since most eastern whitetails are shot at under 100 yards. The worst shot under those conditions with either a scope or red-dot is only about 1 1/2" away from the aiming point and about 2/3rds are less than 1" away.

Regardless of the rifle, open sights are the reason for most shots missing deer under 100 yards away, as people tend to look way over the rear sight.

Back