According to ABC the days of grabbing a baseball bat and heading to the door are over

Like I said, I agree with you in principle, and on tactics. Perhaps I am nitpicking, although I don't think I am.

But the kids might still think Daddy is trembling in fear. Doesn't mean Daddy has done anything wrong.

I just think people should realize that when things happen, the body tends to have predictable autonomic responses, and trembling from an overload of adrenaline is one of them.

They can die in terror cowered in their bedrooms. Wether I have a Louisville Slugger, or an 870 with slugs, someone is going down if they break into my house...

Also I think its funny that anti-gun types dont consider a baseball bat a deadly weapon.

I had been reading a couple of discussions here. One was about stashing firearms in more than one location. The other was about carrying at home. At first thought, the latter idea seemed preposterous
It seems that those of us that have been carrying at home all along, are being called paranoid by fewer and fewer each year.;)

I have Louisville slugger. I remember an NTI where someone charged me with a bat in a scenario. Three shots from a pocket draw (fast than I thought I could) - one in each hand (the bat was in front of his chest) - one right in center mass.

This is getting silly. Put a reasonable gun on you if you are worried about instant response. Cover and concealment and shoot if it makes sense. If you have time, get to the safe room with the others and get ready, trigger the alarms, call the law. Order a pizza - whatever.

Or charge an invasion with a mug, yelling dirty words.

the saying of locking the door is kind of silly. i can punch thru sheetrock to reach in and unlock the door just as easy as i could kick the door open.

its because everyone always stress a strong door that made me put stainless steel sheet metal in the walls surrounding the door so that it would provide extra security.

If woken from a sound sleep by someone being in my house up to no good, I'd make sure family members are accounted for and hunker down. Clearing a house is extremely difficult under ideal situations and having just woken up doesn't help.
Wrongo Donko
My house is easy to clear under any situation.Everyone except me seems to have cavernous homes. And they all seem to be hard to clear.
Of course in my case my dogs make it easy to locate intruders. The screams of agony from the BG helps find them.

I wouldn't mistake having dogs who will track down and attack an intruder for having a structure that is inherently easy to "clear".

The adavantage that you have in taking up a well thought out defensive position (not the simplistic 'lock the door and dial 911'), is precisely the advantage you give up when you go on the move.

Having legitimate gaurd dogs changes the scenario. I say legitimate because there was the case earlier this year in Texas where a family had a mastiff, and that dog proved to be completely useless when burglars broke into the home:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478480&highlight=son

The ABC report doesn't address this, and I agree with those who say that their report by it's nature could not be comprehensive and cover every senario. But the de facto tactic of "lock the door dial 911" leaves your animal out there to fend for itself.

I know dogs can be a very versatile and highly effecive part of home defense. I guess there could be scenarios where your dog was with you and didn't engage the invaders when they first entered - like if the dog was in the bedroom with a closed door.

I don't think I could just unleashe a dog and then let it fend for itself against the against the bad guys, especially if it was being attacked.

Last edited:
Having had at least some formal training in clearing a building, I'd prefer not to try the real thing if I could find a good defensive position. The only way I'd do it is if I had family or friends in other parts of the house.

The old rule of thumb for attacking a defended position was that the attackers needed at least a 3:1 numerical advantage. There's a reason for that.

Some folks seem to think machismo will replace or overcome good tactics. I think they are in for a nasty surprise.

MarkDozier

Quote:
If woken from a sound sleep by someone being in my house up to no good, I'd make sure family members are accounted for and hunker down. Clearing a house is extremely difficult under ideal situations and having just woken up doesn't help.

Wrongo Donko
My house is easy to clear under any situation.Everyone except me seems to have cavernous homes. And they all seem to be hard to clear.
Of course in my case my dogs make it easy to locate intruders. The screams of agony from the BG helps find them.

Have you ever cleared a house or building in real life or in formal training?

Just me mind you...

Consider the source. Last I heard ABC was part of MSM, which does not carry a lot of weight with me personally.

Tactics and Training or Strategy & Tactics to me is training the brain first and then getting skill sets to use whatever tool sets are afforded them. The reality is we have members, whether here in the USA, or abroad whom are denied "rights"

So for me, another thing is knowing the laws of one's jurisdiction. Yes, I for decades have recommended one actually go to the Courtroom to actually see what goes on. Too many folks here in the USA think a "jury of one's peers" means a dozen folks just like them. It ain't so.
One also learns what crimes are done, how played out and how "that" jurisdiction actually deals with cases.
Gets back to training the brain, and educating the brain if you will...

I mean it is nice to know how your jurisdiction "interprets" and "defines" the law.

Now I gots my druthers as to how the COTUS is interpreted and what it means for me, still the reality is, not everyone, nor every place feels the same as I. So I best know, what is what.

Maybe I am old school, or just getting old, still preventive measures to avoid situations is best. Evade if need be is another one. Then again if'n I gots to stop a threat I am best off knowing what is "legal" and staying within the legal areas.
Using of course mindset, skill sets and tool sets I have trained not only my brain, also my physical being with.

Just me, probably wrong, still I run with this tactic and training as come up with.

Steve

Something I didn't see in this thread that needs to be said I think, the police are under no obligation to protect you, so calling 911 may get any BGs that are running away from your house caught, I wouldn't count on anything like that to keep my family, myself and my stuff safe.

I would venture to say that 95% of the people who have called 911 had no idea how long it would take the police to arrive before they actually experienced it.

There is the story of the boy in Texas - whose mom put him in the closet while a group of robbers were breaking into their home, and he repeatedly dialed 911 and kept getting disconnected.

I don't know what the average response time in Chicago is but in Detroit it is abysmal.

I once called 911 at 11:30 at night... I was driving behind a navy blue Camero in the pouring rain.. and the woman was driving with no lights - no headlights, no running lights, no brake lights, nothing, and she was basically invisible. I was waiting for her to kill someone. I actually called ahead to the next town we were going to be traveling through in 10 minutes. We cruised right through that town, and no police responded. I called the next town with a 15 minute lead time, and the next. I called the next three townships and the county Sheriff... 45 minutes of driving with no squad car ever responding. She finally pulled into a subdivision and I thought she'd probably gotten home... and I hoped she was done driving for the night.

I think ABC's general advice in this piece is really cruddy advice and their assumptions about how quickly police respond is another one of those dangerous assumptions.

Can we have a reality check?

If you take up a safe position and call the law:

1. Stay on the phone. It documents your actions (well, if you are Joe Horn or Zimmerman - that may not be good for you) but I assume most members here aren't bloodlusted or shouldn't be.

2. No matter what time it takes, help will start to role - better get it started early.

No one suggests you just call the police and cower. So get off that schtick, would y'all?

Yes, you are a mighty warrior as compared to ABC - yawn.

that would be my plan unless I HAD to go through the house.

My master bedroom is set up to where I could have the wife go in the closet with the phone calling 911 and I can be on the opposite side of the bed with the sites on the door.

We also leave a couple of keys lights on in the house, and where the bedroom is positioned, anyone coming to or by that door will be well illuminated. not that I don't have a flashlight in the nightstand with the weapon but I really shouldn't need it.

Back